Photo

[Marine] Victoria cruise ship industry | Breakwater District/Ogden Point | News / issues

• Please log in to reply
3308 replies to this topic

#2761 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 10:00 AM

Cruises out of Vancouver don't stop here because it would be illogical for the ships to go right past Vancouver at the end of the cruise, and head southeast to reach Victoria. Can't do that on a 7-day trip.

Sometimes they just do the Inside Passage one way or neither. https://www.princess...e-from-seattle/

#2762 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 10:04 AM

Americans who aren’t well travelled don’t have passports, and it looks like most of the American passengers aboard Seattle cruises don’t have them.

The passport issue has been a problem, for sure.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2763 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 07:46 PM

The cruise ships have all the passengers passport information already and can provide this info to the port of call well ahead of time.

There may be one or two passengers that customs would be interested in talking to but that would be it.

I have been on many cruises to many countries and have seldom produced my passport to go ashore, and when you did produce it, it was just a passing glance from a customs official.

Some places require a visa to enter but these are done well ahead of time and the cruise line has the paperwork.

The requirement for a PCR test will be over shortly, with the opening of the land border to the US not requiring any prior test, the Canadian government is being pressured to drop this requirement.

• Nparker likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#2764 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 08:46 PM

I dont have enough of a crystal ball to absolutely foresee what will happen. Lets see if the new legislation passes through the US congress first nd if it does we then have to figure out how to entice the shipd into stopping here. 

One of the drawbacks to all the condo towers we have built is that Victoria is beginning to resemble just another American city. All the usual suspects will rush out to say how wonderful and unique we are but is it really true?

#2765 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,761 posts

Posted 14 October 2021 - 05:30 AM

Other than the increased crime downtown, little has changed about the CoV that draws tourists to our region.

• Barrrister likes this

#2766 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 14 October 2021 - 08:13 AM

One of the drawbacks to all the condo towers we have built is that Victoria is beginning to resemble just another American city. All the usual suspects will rush out to say how wonderful and unique we are but is it really true?

People like American cities. I think they resemble European ones. Otherwise it’s Campbell River which likely resembles a small American town.

• spanky123 likes this

#2767 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 15 October 2021 - 05:30 AM

The requirement for a PCR test will be over shortly, with the opening of the land border to the US not requiring any prior test, the Canadian government is being pressured to drop this requirement.

You would think but as of yesterday the Feds were saying the check stays in place. $1,000 extra fee for a family of 4 coming here on a cruise ship. Ain't going to happen.

As I have said before, the real problem is that every level of Government wants cruise ships to go away and they will underhandedly do whatever is needed to encourage that while telling us it is a shame.

My guess is that as cruise lines start to confirm their 2022 and 2023 seasons and see the PCR check still in place, they will pressure Congress to make the temporary measures permanent on the basis that Canada still isn't playing ball. 

Edited by spanky123, 15 October 2021 - 05:31 AM.

#2768 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,052 posts

Posted 15 October 2021 - 06:18 AM

Why did the feds pay for the dolphin if they don’t want ships?

#2769 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 15 October 2021 - 06:29 AM

What is the dolphin?

#2770 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 15 October 2021 - 06:32 AM

Google “ dock dolphin”.

#2771 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,052 posts

Posted 15 October 2021 - 06:32 AM

Two dolphins will soon greet cruise ship passengers as they approach Victoria via Ogden Point.

The federal government is pitching in nearly $2 million, while the Greater Victoria Harbour Authority will contribute $4,926,132, making up the $6.8 million total.

Last season, the largest cruise ship vessel to visit Vancouver Island docked at Ogden Point. The Norweigen Bliss — at 994 feet long and weighing in at 169,028 tonnes — could carry more than 4,200 passengers.

https://www.vicnews....oint-extension/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 15 October 2021 - 06:33 AM.

#2772 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 15 October 2021 - 06:45 AM

^Why do the Feds spend tens of millions a year funding useless ‘research’ at UVIC? It is about putting money to work and looking good. Nothing to do with the practicality of the project.

#2773 Moderation

Moderation
  • Suspended User
  • 364 posts

Posted 15 October 2021 - 06:58 AM

Do some research on UVIC and how the money overall is put to work for future and short term benefits them give some facts and data to support your opinion statements.

• lanforod and Victoria Watcher like this

#2774 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 15 October 2021 - 08:07 AM

Do some research on UVIC and how the money overall is put to work for future and short term benefits them give some facts and data to support your opinion statements.

I have done more than research, I have participated in projects! I never said all research at UVIC was useless but tell me that you have never witnessed projects where the budget is burnt with egos arguing over terms of reference instead of actually doing anything and profs who are more interested in getting a TA and someone to grade papers?

The one good thing about UVIC is that content creators get to retain the IP of their inventions but then one could argue that so little IP of value is generated that it isn't worth UVIC trying to enumerate it! 

#2775 Moderation

Moderation
  • Suspended User
  • 364 posts

Posted 15 October 2021 - 12:50 PM

Great fact that at UVIC content creators get to retain the IP of their inventions. That is useful to know. I assume it is accurate.

However one could argue anything but it does not make it accurate. Opinions are just what someone thinks. 

I find accurate facts add more to useful  discussions  than just raw opinions, that is if one wants a potentially useful, informative and accurate discussion.

#2776 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 15 October 2021 - 01:41 PM

I have done more than research, I have participated in projects! I never said all research at UVIC was useless but tell me that you have never witnessed projects where the budget is burnt with egos arguing over terms of reference instead of actually doing anything and profs who are more interested in getting a TA and someone to grade papers?

The one good thing about UVIC is that content creators get to retain the IP of their inventions but then one could argue that so little IP of value is generated that it isn't worth UVIC trying to enumerate it! 

Show me a University where that isn't the case, especially a Canadian one.

#2777 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,761 posts

Posted 15 October 2021 - 02:05 PM

ANOTHER OFF-TOPIC THREAD  :wacko:

• Matt R. and sdwright.vic like this

#2778 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,052 posts

Posted 15 October 2021 - 02:08 PM

I described a crime.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 15 October 2021 - 02:08 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

#2779 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,761 posts

Posted 15 October 2021 - 02:11 PM

The only thing less appealing than the absence of cruise ships in our region are VW's attempts at humour.  <_<

• sdwright.vic, todd and Victoria Watcher like this

#2780 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 16 October 2021 - 08:22 AM

^The shipping industry is known for its poor sense of humour.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users