The Victoria beer thread

• Please log in to reply
903 replies to this topic

#701 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,048 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 01:50 PM

Long-running Vancouver brewery faces 'mind-boggling' rents in hunt for new home 'I'm going to have to pay twice as much as I'm paying now,' says Storm Brewing founder as lease nears end

https://www.cbc.ca/n...-home-1.5041985

#702 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 04 March 2019 - 02:03 PM

^ Yup, they had a 25-year lease which expires this year. Property assessment would have gone up considerably over 25 years, so the new rent will likely reflect the property tax. For the record, the property was assessed at $5.3 million in 2018, up $2 million from 2017.

#703 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 04:05 PM

Well I'm glad I visited Storm at their current location when I had the chance. That place is pretty unforgettable.
  • thundergun likes this

#704 GabriolaGirl

GabriolaGirl
  • 205 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 06:37 PM

our Vancouver friends keep saying we need to go there as it's one of their favourite places, I guess we really do need to go & soon.  They too say it's unforgettable.   

#705 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 March 2019 - 02:10 PM

Well I'm glad I visited Storm at their current location when I had the chance. That place is pretty unforgettable.

Most unique brewery I've ever been to! Hard to think a building so associated with rats could be worth that much lol. 

#706 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 21 March 2019 - 08:32 AM

Nice article in the Growler about V2V Black Hops Brewing, a veteran-owned not-for-profit endeavor that is contract brewing out of Twa Dogs in Saanich. They're only selling kegs at the moment, but you can find their beer at Six Mile and The Churchill. via https://bc.thegrowle...to-philanthropy

Edited by Jackerbie, 21 March 2019 - 08:32 AM.

• Jackerbie likes this

#707 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 07:59 PM

Gold award for Axe and Barrel Brews.

#708 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,048 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 11:02 AM

Island-based Riot Brewing on the brink of closure after winter storms

#709 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 06:11 PM

They must have been on the brink already for a couple storms to put them out.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#710 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 06:28 PM

They must have been on the brink already for a couple storms to put them out.

I don't want to knock a guy when he's down. but of all the breweries -- new and old -- on Vancouver island, Riot beer just was never that great.  When a company goes down for whatever reason, to blame it on such an insignificant event, becomes a rather lame excuse, in my opinion.  I don't like to know that folks lost their jobs due to rather poor fiscal management.  Happens all the time.

#711 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 02:18 PM

We’ve spoken about this before. Has the brewery saturation point been reached? Liquor stores can’t even keep up with the varieties any more and to find a specific brewery’s beers is a bit of a hunt unless you get down to the brewery.

I’ve noticed a few liquor stores of late pull back their varieties of micro brew beers to focus on those that sell, and re-focus on “union” brands that massively outsell everything else.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#712 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 07:13 AM

I don't want to knock a guy when he's down. but of all the breweries -- new and old -- on Vancouver island, Riot beer just was never that great.  When a company goes down for whatever reason, to blame it on such an insignificant event, becomes a rather lame excuse, in my opinion.  I don't like to know that folks lost their jobs due to rather poor fiscal management.  Happens all the time.

I liked their beer, I think it's more likely that they went too big too soon. beer tourism is a real thing but there just weren't enough beer geeks in chemanius, or who would make a special detour to the brewery from the highway. a few years ago there was surgenor in courtney, which was a $2 million brewery in a purpose-built building when that area was strictly lucky country. there were still some beers geeks in that area as gladstone, cumberland and forbidden have shown, but they started smaller and expanded as interest grew. maybe an established brewery could use riot as a production facility, or multiple breweries could share the space like vancouver's craft collective because I don't think it's game over for chemanius. if it worked elsewhere it can work there too

#713 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,041 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 11:27 AM

Duncan has a very popular brewery (Red Arrow) but he is relentless in growing his business. We are in regular communication, but I’ve never heard a peep from the folks at Riot regarding sales. There is indeed too much choice out there these days!

Red Arrow was one of the stops on our staff party tour in the fall, they are doing very well on the tourism front. Riot was on the short list for that tour but we went with Red Arrow as it was closer to our final destination.

Chemainus is very popular with tourists, more so than Duncan I would think.

Matt.

#714 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 07:39 PM

65008135_509719036436179_468158583807567

#715 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 08:22 PM

Everyone’s getting drunk in the square already. Might as well make some money!
  • Wayne likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#716 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 June 2019 - 01:14 PM

Whistle Buoy Brewing opened today!

https://www.whistlebuoybrewing.com/

• Jackerbie likes this

#717 jasmineshinga

jasmineshinga
  • 332 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 01:55 PM

Damn, if I'd known I would've brought my wallet to work today :(

• Mike K. likes this

~ Jasmine ~

#718 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,048 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 11:02 AM

where is the hudson brewpub at?

#719 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 01:26 PM

Everyone’s getting drunk in the square already. Might as well make some money!

Not true: https://youtu.be/n7RVJxWtJsM

Would have been a better business venture if he was fined and beer resold in the beer gardens.

Edited by todd, 15 September 2019 - 01:27 PM.

#720 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 01:54 PM

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again it is illegal in Canada to drink alcohol outside of a Tim Hortons cup.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users