• 924 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 04:10 PM

I don't believe so. It's a shame as I love their Adobo chicken bowls. :( 

#5482 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,014 posts

Posted 20 June 2020 - 10:50 AM

Mo:Lé has closed both its downtown and Langford locations, effective immediately.

I don’t think the downtown one ever reopened, did they? Langford had been doing grocery boxes and takeout for a while.

Matt.

#5483 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 20 June 2020 - 01:38 PM

The downtown one reopened briefly but found it too difficult to social distance in a small space so they closed down again.

#5484 Darren14

Darren14
  • 188 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 06:51 PM

It was my favorite brunch spot, wish i had used my gift card i got from xmas before covid. 

#5485 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,860 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 06:46 PM

$137,500

A-1950 Oak Bay Ave

A local favourite! This Chinese restaurant has been in the neighbourhood for decades with plenty of regulars. Located in a convenient strip mall along Oak Bay Ave with parking out front. *Please do not approach owner or staff directly regarding sale of business. (22453644)

427971_1.jpg

• Matt R. likes this

#5486 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 09:41 AM

It’s about time to start looking at who hasn’t reopened. We know of the Flying Pig Rebrand, any other notable places still closed that we would expect to have reopened?

#5487 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 11:14 AM

You have to wonder if that Saskatoon-based pub chain will ever open in the former Sitka space on Yates next to the Adelphi Block. Wasn’t it supposed to be up and running in spring of 2019?
  • JanionGuy likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5488 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 12:46 PM

Work is still happening there and I saw patio furniture on Thursday so they may be close yet. That is if they can get a city inspector to show up and sign off...

You have to wonder if that Saskatoon-based pub chain will ever open in the former Sitka space on Yates next to the Adelphi Block. Wasn’t it supposed to be up and running in spring of 2019?

• Mike K. likes this

#5489 kayla

kayla
  • 52 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 08:43 PM

There's a new sign TUG at the Swift St. location of the former Fishhook (Fish Hook) across the street from Canoe.

Oddly, the Fishhook website makes no mention of the closure of that location. And Mr. Google makes no mention of an upstart restaurant called Tug.  Well maybe it's not a restaurant but sure looks like it. 

Ended up here tonight while trying to find a patio. Our waitress turned out to be one of the owners (her and her partner own the space). Super friendly but they come from the finance and solar panel industry and were upfront that they don't have any hospitality experience. Due to covid, Fishhook was unable to renew their lease so they decided to open up a restaurant to make use of the space that would otherwise be sitting empty. Food was good, although pricey for portion size. It's a good "overflow" space should one try to go to Canoe but can't get in.

• Mike K. likes this

#5490 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,014 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 11:53 PM

^ OMG.

Ever hear that joke?

Q: How do you make a little money owning a restaurant?
A: Start with a lot.

Matt.
  • jsan, Wayne and todd like this

#5491 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 29 June 2020 - 01:23 PM

C'mon, people have to start somewhere, why do they have to start as a dishwasher and work their way up?

• Matt R. likes this

#5492 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,014 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 02:20 PM

C'mon, people have to start somewhere, why do they have to start as a dishwasher and work their way up?

Oh, I am sure they are washing lots of dishes. :)

Matt.

#5493 TFord

TFord
  • Suspended User
  • 291 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 10:18 AM

Yes very brave or stupid, time will tell... one thing is for sure, it's a hell of learning curve! 

It pains me to say I'm very pessimistic on eating out at the moment. With the uncertainty surrounding cover-19 and the atmosphere of fear it has created, it's going to be hard going these next 12 months for owners. 

That means thousands of job losses directly and indirectly. Is their a solution? I think so.

Huge marketing campaigns across the province

Permanent dine around town offers for the rest of the summer

How about cancelling GST & PST on food and Liquor sales in restaurants and bars?

Two for one offers on appy's before 7pm. Fixed price menus inc a glass of wine 

I can think of more...

This is not going to be a profitable summer, this summer is about survival. It's about getting bums on seats and reminding folk eating out can be awesome and great value for money!

Restaurant owners need coordinate together, get down to City hall and work on a plan..

Good luck

TFord

#5494 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,014 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 10:48 AM

Everyone I have spoken to who works in restaurants that are open are telling me things are very busy right now, and everyone is expecting a busy summer.  Staffing is still tough, nothing new there.  Half seats plus a boost in takeout is almost evening things out. The wage subsidy is massive and I hope it gets extended!

Restaurants and liquor primaries are getting the wholesale discount on liquor soon, which is about 20%.  That's also massive. Some producers have been offering wholesale pricing to hospitality for a while now (some since forever) when buying direct, but now purchasing liquor off the shelf has gotten much less expensive.  This is an immediate boost to the bottom line and I wouldn't be surprised to see it stick around after the tentative end date at the end of March, 2021.

I don't think we will see much in the way of permanent dine-in type offers, 2 for 1 anything is loss leader so you'd better be ordering that second glass of wine or beer!

I wish nothing but the best for the new owners at Tug. It's a terrible business, and the work never ends.  As a hands on owner, you are never able to just clock out and go home and stop working.  It's always go time, and truly a lifestyle choice.  For me, I bought myself a job. My partner is great and we are a good team, and I happen to be good at only a couple things in life, and this is one of them. I always scratch my head when people with no experience want the lifestyle that comes with owning a mom and pop - I suppose it seems fun or exciting or romantic or something. :)

Matt.

• spanky123, Greg, Ismo07 and 2 others like this

#5495 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,860 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 11:02 AM

you seem to have a sense for the business end and i’m not sure if you are also a cook but if you are then you’ve got a good grasp on it.
  • Matt R. likes this

#5496 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,014 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 11:39 AM

Yes indeed I am a cook, ticketed since 2004 ish.  Today I am a furniture mover, a sign maker, a laminator, a graphic designer, a product tester, a PITA, an IT consultant, HR consultant and that's my day off this week. :)

My partner has a business degree in accounting.

Matt.

• Mike K., Redd42, todd and 1 other like this

#5497 TFord

TFord
  • Suspended User
  • 291 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 04:46 PM

For sure the CEWS is life support, what happens when the patient goes back into recovery?

TFord

#5498 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,014 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 04:51 PM

More layoffs and a reduction in service levels.

We are running just low enough to get the subsidy, probably won’t get it in August at all but July is a slam dunk.

Matt.

#5499 kayla

kayla
  • 52 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 06:42 PM

Looks like January Gin Joint & Eatery is opening this fall. Their website has been updated so you're able to purchase one of two memberships. "Founders Club" for $1,000 (you need a password to be able to purchase with no other info) and the "Influencers Membership" for $500 (details on the purchase page). 

#5500 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 06:44 PM

Yikes. Umm, I think I’ll go as a normal patron first.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users