Photo

Food services comings and goings in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
8755 replies to this topic

#6481 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 01:48 PM

The current owners of the waffle place have tried to sell before. I remember the phrase "asset sale only". So you wouldn't be buying a business, just the stuff to run one, unless I'm misunderstanding the phrase.

• Matt R. likes this

#6482 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,003 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 02:21 PM

One of the evident side effects of the pandemic has been the closure of businesses. We have all seen how coffee shops – of all sizes and ownership structures – have ceased operating in downtown areas. Venues that used to hold small restaurants that depended heavily on foot traffic have been abandoned.

The simple act of buying a beverage or snack to go at a coffee shop is no longer what it used to be. In the latest survey by Research Co. and Glacier Media, 40% of British Columbians say they are partaking in this activity less often than before the COVID-19 pandemic began. Larger proportions of the province’s residents say they are no longer frequenting coffee shops to have a beverage or snack inside (59%) or having a drink at a bar or pub (64%) as much as they did in February 2020.

https://www.timescol...age-gap-4811500

#6483 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,797 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 03:17 PM

The current owners of the waffle place have tried to sell before. I remember the phrase "asset sale only". So you wouldn't be buying a business, just the stuff to run one, unless I'm misunderstanding the phrase.

The assets could also include all the IP as well. As I understand it, asset sale means you aren’t buying the shares in the existing Corp.

#6484 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 04:42 PM

Due to the high quantity of coffee shops and restaurants in Victoria, I’m sure we will see a reduction in the number of places in the next 6 month. Popular places will do well and capture a stable portion of the market, but any establishment that was borderline or bad will fall to the changing market. What’s the number? I’m not sure. Even 10% will equal dozens of places.

One of the evident side effects of the pandemic has been the closure of businesses. We have all seen how coffee shops – of all sizes and ownership structures – have ceased operating in downtown areas. Venues that used to hold small restaurants that depended heavily on foot traffic have been abandoned.

The simple act of buying a beverage or snack to go at a coffee shop is no longer what it used to be. In the latest survey by Research Co. and Glacier Media, 40% of British Columbians say they are partaking in this activity less often than before the COVID-19 pandemic began. Larger proportions of the province’s residents say they are no longer frequenting coffee shops to have a beverage or snack inside (59%) or having a drink at a bar or pub (64%) as much as they did in February 2020.

https://www.timescol...age-gap-4811500

#6485 TFord

TFord
  • Suspended User
  • 291 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 08:59 PM

I think there is a tipping point for a cup of coffee and we may have surpassed it.

I paid $6 for a 16oz latte earlier in the week and I left a tip in cash, maybe 75 cents. I can remember paying $3 for the same drink. it really wasn't that long ago. Maybe 5 years. I used to frequent a small group of cafes almost daily. I really enjoyed the atmosphere, meeting with friends and buying them a coffee also. Or just chatting to staff. It meant more to me than just the coffee. If I'm meeting friends now for a coffee we usually just grab a brew somewhere and walk with it. You can find a decent medium brew for a couple of bucks. 

It can't be easy for these small business owners, when all of the overhead is paid, I doubt there is much left in the pot for them. When Starbucks is winding down several locations you have to think something has gone wrong. Maybe it's the min wage increases? 

Anyone know where I can get a palatable $3 latte..?

TFord 

• Matt R. likes this

#6486 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 10:17 PM

Nope. No $3 latte without a staff discount. Small business sucks. When you buy or build one, you basically create a never ending job for yourself. You must scale above 5 employees before your can stop working 50 hour weeks. Even then, there is no time off unless you have a capable and trustworthy manager.
  • Matt R. likes this

#6487 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 04 December 2021 - 08:47 AM

I buy my coffee at Cosco (kirkland coffee( and frankly brew it in a regular coffee maker that I actually bought for three bucks at a garage sale. I also have three more coffee makers in the basement all under five bucks for when they burn out.

But I understand that for a lot of people that the coffee shop is their social activity fee. I imagine that if you live in a tiny condo the coffee shop becomes your living room for meeting friends.

• Matt R. likes this

#6488 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 04 December 2021 - 09:08 AM

Can’t you just meet your friends in your living room of that tiny condo?
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6489 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 04 December 2021 - 09:42 AM

Can’t you just meet your friends in your living room of that tiny condo?

Only if you don't have many friends. Have you seen how small some new condos are these days?

#6490 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,797 posts

Posted 04 December 2021 - 01:18 PM

Nope. No $3 latte without a staff discount. Small business sucks. When you buy or build one, you basically create a never ending job for yourself. You must scale above 5 employees before your can stop working 50 hour weeks. Even then, there is no time off unless you have a capable and trustworthy manager.

… there’s a point where I can stop working 50 hour weeks?

We sell about 40 16 oz lattes a day, on average. I wonder how that compares to other takeout places.

#6491 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,797 posts

Posted 04 December 2021 - 01:20 PM

I buy my coffee at Cosco (kirkland coffee( and frankly brew it in a regular coffee maker that I actually bought for three bucks at a garage sale. I also have three more coffee makers in the basement all under five bucks for when they burn out.

But I understand that for a lot of people that the coffee shop is their social activity fee. I imagine that if you live in a tiny condo the coffee shop becomes your living room for meeting friends.

Back when my sister owned pic a flic, I’d spend a bit of time in cook st village and that Starbucks was always packed with locals working or visiting with friends.

#6492 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 04 December 2021 - 04:29 PM

… there’s a point where I can stop working 50 hour weeks?

Herding cats takes a lot of time.

• Matt R. likes this

#6493 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 04 December 2021 - 08:18 PM

Discovery Coffee workers were replaced by Whole foods workers at the store in uptown. The prices are lower and there is no tip option because the till is Whole Foods versus Discovery specific. I feel like a traitor every time I go there. I think it's 4.25 for a 12oz latte.
  • TFord likes this

#6494 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,797 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 02:31 PM

From the BCRFA in my inbox today:

"As the domestic market will not be able to supply our needs now and for the foreseeable future, we do believe that given the urgency of the situation, timelines should improve.

The BCRFA has asked the Provincial government to exempt BC employers from having to apply for an LMIA for a period of 24 months in view of the fact that we are in an epidemic labour shortage. Secondly, we have asked government to ask their federal counterparts to expedite the work permits for foreign workers headed to BC."

The LMIA process isn't difficult, only takes a few months and costs a grand.  The real issue is the visa and PR process, but I'll take whatever help I can get.

#6495 LJ

LJ
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 08:00 PM

^There is no epidemic labour shortage, we have an epidemic lazy surplus.

• Nparker and Barrrister like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#6496 qv

qv
  • 297 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 08:22 PM

Citation needed

#6497 TFord

TFord
  • Suspended User
  • 291 posts

Posted 08 December 2021 - 09:47 AM

A unique situation is about to unfold..

These kids are starting to realize for the first time in maybe 40 years they have some leverage in the labour market! Forget the minimum wage, I expect we will see some startling headlines in the media over the coming months.. 

Dishwasher needed - $35 an hour with full benefits.

Why not? it's a tough job and requires someone with a great attitude and ability. If a swimming pool attendant can make $28, I've no problem with a hard working dishwasher getting $35. My local garage charges $170 labour, owner is paying his mechanics $50/hr, only way he can attract and keep them he says. 

Neil Howe - Fourth Turning, google it and have a listen, great insight into a new era as we exit this pandemic.

TFord  

Edited by TFord, 08 December 2021 - 09:48 AM.

#6498 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 08 December 2021 - 09:52 AM

If many restaurants are struggling now, paying dishwashers $35/hour, is not going to help.

#6499 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,003 posts

Posted 08 December 2021 - 10:03 AM

If your "dishwasher" works flat out every hour, takes care of prep work, cleaning and organizing and maintenance between "doing dishes" she might be worth $35/hr. in some very rare cases.  

#6500 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,797 posts

Posted 08 December 2021 - 11:34 AM

I’d pay a full time, night dishwasher $55k a year plus meals plus benefits if I could find one. I guess that’s still not enough?
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

22 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 20 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (2)