Photo

Food services comings and goings in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
8755 replies to this topic

#6501 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 08 December 2021 - 01:24 PM

That’s more than most mid level civil servants….

#6502 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,003 posts

Posted 08 December 2021 - 01:33 PM

It’s a harder job with tougher hours.
  • Matt R. likes this

#6503 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,797 posts

Posted 09 December 2021 - 06:48 PM

That’s more than most mid level civil servants….

It’s a harder job with tougher hours.

Probably true.

Evenings, weekends, barely any glamour (lol) and some overtime in the high season is required BUT you do get control of the kitchen music if you are dishwasher. Good staff meals and drinks, extended benefits, and you don't really have to talk to anyone if you don't want to.

People here often talk about a "living wage" but then are only available 24 hours a week ...

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go start closing up the dish pit.

Edited by Matt R., 10 December 2021 - 12:48 AM.

• Mike K. likes this

#6504 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,003 posts

Posted 09 December 2021 - 06:50 PM

BUT you do get control of the kitchen music if you are dishwasher.  

cultureclub029.jpg

• Matt R. likes this

#6505 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 12 December 2021 - 04:16 PM

Popeyes is opening December 15th. Took a bit.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6506 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 12 December 2021 - 04:27 PM

Popeyes is opening December 15th. Took a bit.

https://www.facebook.../PopeyesIsland/

#6507 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 742 posts

Posted 12 December 2021 - 08:37 PM

I was at Tuscany Village Thrifty foods today, and while I was there checked out the Popeye's chicken.  I thought it was open already as there was no paper on the windows and the door was open.  I walked in and the staff behind the front counter told me it is open on Wednesday.  The place looks nice and modern and there is seating to eat inside, it's not just for takeout.

People complain that Tuscany Village has the worst parking lot and when I was there an SUV went to far and jumped over the sidewalk.  Lucky no one was walking there at the time.

• Mike K. likes this

#6508 Fairbanks

Fairbanks
  • 553 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 09:51 AM

Big Wheel Burger will open in Colwood Corners Redux.

• Mike K., Nparker, Matt R. and 3 others like this

#6509 29er Radio

29er Radio
  • 671 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 02:16 PM

Good Afternoon Vibrant Victorians

The latest Table Nine Podcast with Victoria F&B phenom John Reese is out for your listening pleasure. This show John and Eric focus on Imagination and how a business owner can benefit from taking a moment to explore many options when confronted with a crisis or considering tweeking a day to day activity. Enjoy the show and we love your comments https://bit.ly/3DLLvH2 

Eric Bramble - http://www.29erradio.com
The Growler Hour
Lisa, Gene & Eric Show

#6510 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 03:04 PM

I’d pay a full time, night dishwasher $55k a year plus meals plus benefits if I could find one. I guess that’s still not enough?

What's rent on a reasonable 1 or 2 BR  on SaltSpring?

All the 'quantitative easing' and low interest rates of the last 10-14 years has completely F**cked the real estate market - which is now having major effects on the labour market, as people can't afford to live anywhere near where they work.

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#6511 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,797 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 03:56 PM

The problem here is that there isn't any rental stock, but a 1 bedroom is 12-1500 and a 2 bed is 1500 and up.  We don't have apartment buildings or condos here.  We rent our rooms for $900 a month, with a steep discount for staff who work 4 or more shifts per week. :)

The hospital foundation is spending $4 mil plus a couple more for renos on a mid to low rent hotel here because they are short about 30 positions, due to housing.  Many businesses have been forced to purchase staff housing as well, and Country Grocer has essentially built a trailer park behind their location for staff to live in.

The Islands Trust recently decided to officially look the other way when it comes to illegal dwellings, and has instructed bylaw not to enforce the rules.

I don't think there is a livable house on the market here for less than $800k right now.

#6512 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 04:00 PM

You have to wonder why someone hasn't invested in some sort of multi-unit rental building or buildings.

#6513 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 04:31 PM

Curiously, these communities are not subject to the spec tax. Guess how many homes on those islands are vacation properties?

• Nparker and lanforod like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6514 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,797 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 04:57 PM

You have to wonder why someone hasn't invested in some sort of multi-unit rental building or buildings.

No water no building.

Edited by Matt R., 13 December 2021 - 04:58 PM.

#6515 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,797 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 05:00 PM

Curiously, these communities are not subject to the spec tax. Guess how many homes on those islands are vacation properties?

Oh there are many. Anecdotally, the population triples in the summer.

The big problem here is the moratorium on water hookups and of course the nimby’s. It’s not so much that nobody would build an apartment building, but there are roadblocks that keep that from happening. I think we are also maxed at 3 stories due to fire rescue.

#6516 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 05:25 PM

The fire rescue thing is a red herring, no? Do the islanders think we have 20 storey ladder trucks in Victoria?

You have to install sprinklers. But I guess if you don’t have any water, then…
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#6517 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 11:00 PM

Wonder how much a small desalination plant would cost? 

#6518 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,797 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 11:28 PM

Ha, funny you mention that. The Islands Trust wants to ban those, specifically. Also want to ban construction of new docks entirely, sawmills and more.

I had a company approach me two years ago on the advice of our CRD director, Gary Holman, wanting to install a micro desalination plant at my restaurant, as we are literally on the ocean and sell water through a vending machine, profit share setup. The wharf is federal, and there was too much liability in the contract for me so we passed.

http://clearoceantech.com/

#6519 phx

phx
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 08:20 PM

People lined up out the door, around the corner, and down the street at Popeyes:

ZlMjvDC.jpg

Edited by phx, 16 December 2021 - 08:21 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#6520 qv

qv
  • 297 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 08:51 PM

People lined up out the door, around the corner, and down the street at Popeyes:

ZlMjvDC.jpg

Was that today?
  • LocalMom and qv like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

58 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 51 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (7)