Photo

Food services comings and goings in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
8817 replies to this topic

#6761 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 17 May 2022 - 08:19 PM

Drove down Tillicum in Esquimalt today. The Gorge Pub is no more, just a pile of rubble.

Sad to see my old local go. 

• Mike K. likes this

#6762 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 17 May 2022 - 08:38 PM

While I'm talking about the Gorge-Tillicum neighbourhood, Il Greco restaurant has moved around the corner from Tillicum to Gorge, where there last was a coffee shop. 

The building in the original Il Greco location is to be torn down and redeveloped. 

Looks like Il Greco and the health food store are the only 2 retail tenants to continue in that location. 

Having run a business while a building is being totally redone, I feel the pain of that food store! Memories of trying to talk to customers over the sound of construction. And the "WE ARE STIIL IN OPEN DURING CONSTRUCTION" signs.

#6763 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 18 May 2022 - 02:54 PM

It appears that Good Earth Coffee will take over the old Starbucks location at Bay Centre Mall.

#6764 Darren14

Darren14
  • 188 posts

Posted 19 May 2022 - 06:43 PM

It appears that Good Earth Coffee will take over the old Starbucks location at Bay Centre Mall.

That sign has been there for months... i think it's them hoping to find a franchisee, but not 100% sure 

#6765 justaguy

justaguy

Yeah, that guy.

• 7 posts

Posted 25 May 2022 - 05:29 PM

The Beach House and the house next door to it has sold to a developer, Mike Geric Construction. Waterfont Condos anyone?

• Mike K. likes this

#6766 Darren14

Darren14
  • 188 posts

Posted 25 May 2022 - 07:15 PM

That sign has been there for months... i think it's them hoping to find a franchisee, but not 100% sure 

Sign says to Franchise your own good earth so who knows 

Attached Images

• 20220524_085820.jpg

#6767 29er Radio

29er Radio
  • 671 posts

Posted 26 May 2022 - 01:01 PM

Good Afternoon Vibrant Victorians

Our latest Table Nine Podcast about the food and beverage business is out for your listening pleasure. This show we are joined by Cristen Dallas who is one of the founder/owners of Pizzeria Prima Strada and she shares tales of how they came to open a pizza joint and the challenges of running a multi location operation. Hope you enjoy the show and we love your comments https://bit.ly/3PIhT4p 

Eric Bramble - http://www.29erradio.com
The Growler Hour
Lisa, Gene & Eric Show

#6768 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 29 May 2022 - 03:07 PM

The former cafe on the NW corner of Fort and Quadra (diagonally across from Island Blue; it’s been many food service establishments over the years) has been leased to a new outfit called J and M Asian Food Mart; it will be opening soon.
  • Dr. Barillas likes this

#6769 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 29 May 2022 - 05:21 PM

Came into town this week to see my man Beau at Western Gentleman to tighten up my fade, and of course stopped for lunch next door at the Marble Arch. $16 for a rally great combo plate and a can of Coke, tax included. Love how clean the place is, and how fresh the food always is. Never a miss at this place!

They were almost full inside, a few takeout orders and 4 Skip pickups in the time I was sitting.
  • Dr. Barillas likes this

#6770 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,147 posts

Posted 29 May 2022 - 06:38 PM

^ I’m still a push over for their egg foo yung chow mein ….. best on the planet.

#6771 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 29 May 2022 - 06:50 PM

Combo c, half fried rice half chow mein. This and the Dutch bakery are my two key stops in the city if time permits. Nobody doesn’t love beef croquettes for dinner.

#6772 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 09 June 2022 - 10:23 AM

Canadian Brewhouse is opening on Monday at Uptown. It will feature a bowling alley and batting cage that Banquet was supposed to have (same company at CB). Here's a 2019 article on the proposal: https://victoria.cit...tre-in-saanich/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6773 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,021 posts

Posted 09 June 2022 - 10:26 AM

Interesting.

#6774 RPPB

RPPB
  • 198 posts

Posted 09 June 2022 - 11:45 AM

Where are they located in the mall?

#6775 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 09 June 2022 - 12:16 PM

Near the H&M store, at the mid-block cut-through to Highway 1.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6776 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,021 posts

Posted 10 June 2022 - 02:44 AM

Bowling is back in Saanich — and on nearly the exact spot where the last alley was torn down 15 years ago.

Six lanes for 10-pin bowling are slated to open Monday as part of the Canadian Brewhouse pub and restaurant at Uptown Shopping Centre.

The lanes will be a feature of the 600-seat establishment on the second floor along Uptown Boulevard. It will also have a large rooftop patio and three batting cages.

Edmonton-based Canadian Brewhouse has 43 locations in Canada, including 26 in Alberta, catering to sports fans with large television screens as well as families with seatings for children from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m.

Bowling fans saw the sport slip away in 2006, when the 10-pin Mayfair Lanes in Victoria near the Saanich border closed and the building was torn down. It remains an empty lot next to Mayfair shopping centre.

https://www.timescol...-uptown-5464102

#6777 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,147 posts

Posted 10 June 2022 - 05:14 AM

Let's Bowl

The TC article mentioned that the new bowling lanes at Canadian Brewhouse are situated close to the spot that Town and Country Lanes was located back in the day.

As Robbie Robertson phrased it in "Somewhere Down the Crazy River" this is sure stirring up some ghosts for me. https://www.youtube....h?v=4KP9PNSUME4

Sparky (that's me) picked up his first corporate gig (read no more lawn mowing) at this bowling alley at the ripe age of 14. I assumed the position of "pin chaser" where my duties were to clear the log jams that happened from time to time in the automated pin setting machines, and run the mop over the approach between league change at 9:00 pm.

It was a 4 hour gig from 7:00-11:00 on Tuesday and Thursday nights and all day Saturday. It paid .85 cents an hour. My cheques came from Toronto. That was big dough back then. It was also where I turned from a boy to a young man.

I learned more than just fixing the machines behind the pins...it was also about learning about people letting off steam, mixing with others and having fun after their workday. There was "league" play every night and was full to the brim. There were two time slots 7 and 9 pm.

These were good times and I am grateful for that. I am also grateful that bowling is returning to our midst.

I can't wait.

T&C Bowling Lanes circa 1964

Bowling.jpg

#6778 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,021 posts

Posted 10 June 2022 - 05:29 AM

^ awesome!

600 seats eh?  Would that make this the largest restaurant/pub in the entire CRD (if you discount the Strath and Empress Hotel)?

Hard to imagine many of those seats being filled dayside or weeknights.

It's like the Rec Room chain.  Cavernous and empty most of the time

Saturday night at 10pm is rocking though.   But most patrons are under 30.  

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 10 June 2022 - 05:38 AM.

#6779 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 10 June 2022 - 06:24 AM

All we need now is the TC to change its logo.
  • Matt R. and Victoria Watcher like this

Know it all.

#6780 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,147 posts

Posted 10 June 2022 - 06:27 AM

^ Ha! Good Luck.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users