The Greater Victoria traffic incident/accident thread

• Please log in to reply
7141 replies to this topic

#6301 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 08:28 AM

Yes, but that takes us back to the pedestrian's responsibility. Sometimes one car stops and for another it is unsafe or impossible to do so. You don't cross into a lane that you are not certain is safe to cross into.

I was actually hit in that very scenario, where I thought a vehicle in the inside lane would stop like the vehicle in the outside lane did. I learned a valuable lesson that day but luckily wasn't injured beyond a scuff and a dose of terror.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6302 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 08:30 AM

not trying to be provocative here.  but why were you in a crosswalk while you knew about a shuttle bus that was not aware of you?  why not stay on the curb until you've dealt with it (it has passed you or stopped)?

Because I was 99.9% certain the driver was aware of me. He was stopped and hadn't started to make his turn until I was about 1/3 of the way across.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#6303 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 10:09 AM

When you're approaching a green light in a car, do you come to a stop at the light to wait to see that no cars are coming from direction with the red light?

If not, why is that the expectation for pedestrians?

Edited by Mattjvd, 14 October 2019 - 10:10 AM.

• Greg, shoeflack and Victoria Watcher like this

#6304 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,032 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 10:19 AM

When you're approaching a green light in a car, do you come to a stop at the light to wait to see that no cars are coming from direction with the red light?

If not, why is that the expectation for pedestrians?

fair question.  most of us i know we wait for a second after the green we certainly don't jump it.  that's the easiest way to get hit.

now approaching a green well most but not all drivers know where traffic lights are and/or they see cars crossing in front of them as they approach red.  indeed at most intersections they will see several red lights.  maybe a few crosswalks indicator lights too.  they are well and clearly defined and they come up at somewhat regular intervals too. 

crosswalks marked and otherwise are everywhere and anywhere.  foul bay between oak bay avenue and fort has 9 crosswalks or cross streets.   just 2 traffic lights.

smart drivers do pay extra attention if perhaps it's an unbusy intersection or a quiet time of the night.  other times usually cars are stopped already as you go through.  other cars couldn't run the red if they wanted to.

lastly being in a car offer lots of crash protection.  walking offers little or none.

let's recall the very recent famous crash at bay/douglas:

https://www.cbc.ca/p...y/1592455235774

if that car southbound was not blocked by a building (with no setback a rarity) hew might have been smart not to go.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 October 2019 - 10:25 AM.

#6305 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 October 2019 - 10:20 AM

As a kid I was taught to always look both ways and never cross the street when there's a car coming.  Still seems like sound advice whether I'm in a crosswalk or not.

#6306 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 02:10 PM

not trying to be provocative here at all. 

but why did you step off the curb before you were sure that car was slowing and/or had made eye contact?  that's the correct way to cross at crosswalks.

Mostly because the car was initially far enough away that I felt that stepping off of the curb would give the driver a heads-up of my intention to cross. I also presumed that seeing me step off of the curb would prompt the driver to slow down and stop for me.

The problem with my assumptions was in both cases the driver would actually have needed to be looking through his windshield which I found out wasn't the case. 

#6307 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,032 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 02:13 PM

indeed. I don’t know I treat it like a train. even if I step in front of it 300 yards out it still might not stop.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 October 2019 - 02:14 PM.

#6308 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 02:14 PM

It is true that pedestrians can avoid being hit by being attentive of drivers breaking the law but just to be clear it is the drivers breaking the law and not a pedestrian responsibility to avoid the driver breaking the law. Of course as a pedestrian you never want to be dead right.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#6309 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,032 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 02:15 PM

we have all been clear on that.
  • weirdie likes this

#6310 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 04:10 PM

Plenty of cars get smacked by other cars. The onus is on everyone of us to ensure our own safety, and those of others. But the breakdown happens.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6311 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 06:41 PM

The van that police say was driven by a drunk driver and dragged a woman several blocks on Vancouver's Hastings Street leaving her with life-threatening injuries is said to belong to Chicago punk rock band "Off With Their Heads". The band has cancelled their Seattle and Portland shows without comment.

#6312 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 07:38 PM

Says the guy who's never experienced something like that. Good Lord.

I have owned dogs all my life, they have all died, some naturally, some not.

I was upset and sad, not hysterical and wailing.

\

Get a grip snowflakes.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#6313 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 07:47 PM

^Did one of your beloved dogs get turned instantly into a bloody paste before your eyes as you lied injured in the road?

No? Not even close?

I didn't think so.

So stop being the gatekeeper of grief.

#6314 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 07:48 PM

^Unfortunately you are wrong again.

#6315 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 08:10 PM

Glad to know everyone has to feel the same things you do

#6316 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 07:35 PM

Glad to know everyone has to feel the same things you do

Personally I hope they don't have to.

#6317 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,032 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 04:16 PM

not victoria but this was vancouver and fairly high profile.

On what is normally a weekend full of friends, family, and being thankful, it has tragically turned into a life-threatening time for our beloved coworker and friend, Desiree. As many have already seen on the news in the last couple of days, at 12:30 a.m. on Saturday, Desiree was walking and was involved in a horrific accident involving a vehicle, and was trapped under the vehicle and dragged for 5-7 blocks until the driver noticed. 

gofundme:

https://www.gofundme..._cp share-sheet

#6318 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,032 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 05:32 AM

more on the incident here and this strange tidbit:

Vancouver police spokesman Const. Steve Addison said investigators believed that alcohol might have a been a factor in the collision.

Addison said the driver and the vehicle were both from the U.S. and that the driver hadn’t been charged with a criminal offence. “I do not know if the driver has returned to the U.S.,” he said.

https://www.timescol...uver-1.23981894

gofundme is at $153k.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 October 2019 - 05:32 AM.

#6319 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,032 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 01:10 PM

video:  http://newjersey.new...-river-building

streetview:  https://www.google.c...!7i13312!8i6656

Two people were killed in New Jersey early Sunday when a Porsche launched into the air and smashed into the second story of a commercial building, investigators said.

The sports car, a 2010 Porsche Boxster convertible, was traveling at “a high rate of speed” when the driver lost control, hit a center median and struck an embankment that sent it smashing through the building, Toms River Police spokeswoman Jillian Messina told Fox News.

The victims were later identified as 22-year-old Braden DeMartin of Toms River and his passenger, 23-year-old Daniel Foley, also of Toms River, the department said in a news release. Both were pronounced dead at the scene.

https://www.foxnews....ory-dead-police

toms-river-car-into-home-Vin-Ebenau-92.7

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 10 November 2019 - 01:16 PM.

#6320 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 03:51 PM

Yet another Quadra/Tattersall crash. 

The corner of that building already had a ding from a prior accident. I think it's been hit about six times in the past decade.

tattersall.JPG

Charlayne Thornton-Joe photo

• Mike K. likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users