Photo

BC Transit (Victoria Regional Transit System) news and issues

• Please log in to reply
9626 replies to this topic

#6021 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 08:58 AM

There's a picture of the new electric bus on the website if anyone's curious https://bctransit.co...d=1403650694811

I thought curiosity killed the cat.  

#6022 BCTransitLTC

BCTransitLTC
  • 28 posts
  • LocationLangford

Posted 01 September 2018 - 12:19 PM

New member here. Brand new driver for BC Transit. I can answer any questions you might have. As my username suggests, I work out of LTC Langford Garage (for now).

I was fortunate enough to drive a brand new 2018 Grande West Vicinity yesterday. Only 300km on the odometer. They're replacing the "Arboc" community shuttle buses. 

• Cats4Hire and SgtNeonPanda like this

#6023 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 11:38 AM

So now that it's less than 24 hours until the schedule change we can use Google Maps to more easily compare schedules and the 9 seems really poorly scheduled. Heading towards Camosun/Royal Oak at the Wilkinson stop pretty much every 9 is within 5 minutes of an 8. 8 at 7:56, 9 at 7:57. 8 at 8:09, 9 and 8:11. 8 at 8:54, 9 at 8:56. 9 at 9:59, 8 at 11:01. The best that can be seen so far is 9 at 11:04 with the closest 8 at 10:57 which is at least more than 5 minutes. 

The other direction doesn't matter as much as the 8 has a vastly different destination but from Gorge/Jutland they're basically running the same route 2 within 5 minutes then the next is 40 minutes away. They should have just offset it 20 minutes from the 8 (even if it doesn't run all day) like how the 27/28 or 30/31 are.

#6024 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 06:36 AM

New member here. Brand new driver for BC Transit. I can answer any questions you might have. As my username suggests, I work out of LTC Langford Garage (for now).

I was fortunate enough to drive a brand new 2018 Grande West Vicinity yesterday. Only 300km on the odometer. They're replacing the "Arboc" community shuttle buses. 

Sounds great, thanks for making yourself available.

• BCTransitLTC likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6025 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 02:15 PM

So I got an Email from Camosun asking me to fill out a survey if I'd want a summer/off-semester U-pass to be offered which they're pricing at $21.25 a month. This is much cheaper than an adult pass ($85/month) and just barely more than the one I get for the semesters I'm attending (paid $81 for this semester so it costs $20.25/month). How is it possible to get such a good price in the off season though? I assumed we got it because everyone has to pay so those who drive/walk/bike are subsidizing the cost for those who bus but that wouldn't be the case if it was optional.

#6026 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 02:16 PM

I guess BC Transit doesn't see much ridership activity in the summer months courtesy of UVic and Camosun students, so generating a little bit of extra income while not having to offer additional capacity is a win-win for those who will benefit from the services and transit's coffers.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6027 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 02:20 PM

I imagine most people who would use this would be getting to summer jobs and such meaning they'd already be buying an adult pass and BC Transit would get less money.

#6028 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 02:24 PM

Yup, quite possibly, or they may not be. I suspect that the number of students who opt for a bus pass in the summer months is quite small, and by offering the discounted fare they're hoping to increase that number significantly. Especially if they can hide the cost as part of annual tuition.

Is that where they'd like to charge it, just lump it in with other school costs?

Know it all.

#6029 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 02:46 PM

I'm not entirely sure, they do specially mention it would be optional and that to qualify you must have attended the previous semester (so likely Winter) so I'll check if my UPass goes up next semester. 

• Mike K. likes this

#6030 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 02:22 PM

BC Transit really should put an alert out on days like today where there's major delays (since I'm sure they know). Douglas is single lane northbound from about just in front of the A&W until just after Saanich with traffic backed up all the way to Finlayson. It took me 46 minutes to get from Douglas/Fort to Carey/Ravine (according to the schedule that's more than double the excepted time) and buses were bunching something aweful. I was sandwiched between 2 50s and I don't think the 30 was too far back. Heading into town I saw a 31 and a 30 right with each other near Tolmie and never saw another for either at any point the remainder of the trip and I saw 2 50s as well. Didn't see any 70 or 72s either way.

#6031 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 02:28 PM

...Douglas is single lane northbound from about just in front of the A&W until just after Saanich with traffic backed up all the way to Finlayson...

Is "rapid" bus lane construction the ironic reason?

#6032 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 02:34 PM

Is "rapid" bus lane construction the ironic reason?

yup. 

#6033 BCTransitLTC

BCTransitLTC
  • 28 posts
  • LocationLangford

Posted 06 September 2018 - 05:55 PM

Extra lane being added to Millstream Road at Treanor Ave. Bus stop will be moved further up the road. Was driving the #52 and they were paving as I went by. 

• Cats4Hire likes this

#6034 BCTransitLTC

BCTransitLTC
  • 28 posts
  • LocationLangford

Posted 09 September 2018 - 12:28 PM

Has anyone on this forum checked out the NextRide system? It's not active in Victoria yet, but I've personally been to Nanaimo and Comox Valley since it was introduced, it seems like a neat idea! You can select whichever route you want to catch and it shows you where the buses are closest to your location. It also shows whether the bus is empty, light, medium, or heavy load. 

#6035 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 03:56 PM

I’ve played around with Nanaimo’s system and it’s functional, for sure, but it’s also lacking an app environment that could make it so, so much better for mobile users.

Or am I simply not finding the mobile app?

Know it all.

#6036 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 04:37 PM

I don't think there's an app and yeah that's my biggest problem with it. It works great on my computer but I don't care how far the bus is at home, I care when I'm out. Some seem to have it built into the Google Maps app (like Calgary) so it would be nice if BC Transit looked into that.

#6037 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 06:16 PM

I don't think there's an app and yeah that's my biggest problem with it. It works great on my computer but I don't care how far the bus is at home, I care when I'm out.

You mean you don't take your desktop or laptop with you whenever you leave home?

• Cats4Hire likes this

#6038 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 06:14 AM

I've noticed pretty much daily been there's trip cancellations. Are BC Transit short on drivers or something? https://bctransit.co...d=1403650754605

#6039 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 09:45 AM

It's a problem that has plagued the system since the dawn of time. But at least now they're a little more pro-active when it comes to cancellations. Back when I rode the bus there would be two or three #14's that simply never showed and calling the transit line would get you about as far as standing around at the bus stop.

I sometimes wonder if the schedule is merely a reflection of that year's budget and a visual reference of as schedule that can never be fulfilled.

Know it all.

#6040 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 07:59 PM

I see Surrey is getting LRT but there are a bunch of people running for council who want to cancel the LRT and hold out for skytrain instead.

Maybe we can get their LRT money and use it here while they wait another 20 years for skytrain.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users