Photo

BC Transit (Victoria Regional Transit System) news and issues

• Please log in to reply
9626 replies to this topic

#6101 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 10:48 AM

Their Tweet says the lanes go up to the Burnside Bridge? https://twitter.com/...7852549120?s=19

It would make sense to stop at Tillicum since I thought the Mackenzie interchange played a role in the lanes which isn't even close to being done.

#6102 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 11:03 AM

Their Tweet says the lanes go up to the Burnside Bridge? https://twitter.com/...7852549120?s=19

It would make sense to stop at Tillicum since I thought the Mackenzie interchange played a role in the lanes which isn't even close to being done.

They get them through the Tillicum intersection northbound plus a little bit for merge.

#6103 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 02:10 PM

They get them through the Tillicum intersection northbound plus a little bit for merge.

So that bridge that goes over Interurban/Burnside splitting? I see, there was some debate back when they were announced if "Burnside Bridge" meant that or the one in View Royal (where the 50 exits/enters the highway). That seems like a weird place to end them though.

#6104 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 02:39 PM

Yes the ones about 200 metres west of Tillicum.

#6105 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 01:47 PM

The northbound Douglas Street priority bus lane from Tolmie Avenue to the Burnside Road West/Interurban Road area, which opened this week, is already saving bus passengers up to 10 minutes during peak travel periods, says the B.C. Ministry of Transportation.

https://www.timescol...utes-1.23520721

question though. with all the stops the bus still makes does it save any time over a car?

#6106 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 01:56 PM

The northbound Douglas Street priority bus lane ...which opened this week, is already saving bus passengers up to 10 minutes during peak travel periods...

2 days of operation and the Ministry of Transportation feels a definitive statement like this can be made? That's some thorough research folks.

#6107 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 01:58 PM

2 days of operation and the Ministry of Transportation feels a definitive statement like this can be made? That's some thorough research folks.

Actually I'm impressed it's this low.  I would have thought it's 20-30 minutes in rush hour.

#6108 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 02:00 PM

Actually I'm impressed it's this low.  I would have thought it's 20-30 minutes in rush hour.

Well, that would probably require them to adjust the light timing to actually let traffic flow through the area with tempo.

#6109 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 02:02 PM

Actually I'm impressed it's this low...

Impressed?

#6110 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 03:03 PM

I'm with Nagel on this one. Seems like surprisingly low time savings considering how painfully slow the Colwood Crawl is.

#6111 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 07 December 2018 - 04:02 PM

I'm with Nagel on this one. Seems like surprisingly low time savings considering how painfully slow the Colwood Crawl is.

You say "surprisingly" but Nagel said "impressed".  I think he just misspoke/typed given the rest of his comment.

#6112 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 05:38 PM

Will there be a plan to add a new bridge over Interurban at some point?

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#6113 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 11:16 PM

What's the point? By Interurban, it's passed all the bottlenecks - once the interchange is done.

#6114 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 06:30 AM

So your saying that after the interchange is done there will be no North bound congestion during rush hour? South bound traffic will for sure be to here afterwards.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#6115 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 07:22 AM

Not at this time, but they are still working on the old island highway, not for true BRT lanes but some queue jumping.

#6116 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 09:40 AM

So your saying that after the interchange is done there will be no North bound congestion during rush hour? South bound traffic will for sure be to here afterwards.

Mackenzie won't be a chock-point, Northbound. Why would it be?

Yes, there will still be south bound traffic, but less of it. After about 1/3 of the cars get off at Mackenzie, there are fewer vehicles to bunch up at Tillicum/Uptown than currently do at Mackenzie. And not so many to turn left at Tillicum as currently do at Mackenzie, meaning the extended left turn signal currently in place at Mackenzie doesn't get moved down to Tillicum. Which is great for northbound traffic.

Edited by vortoozo, 10 December 2018 - 09:43 AM.

• SgtNeonPanda likes this

#6117 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 10:38 AM

Mackenzie won't be a chock-point, Northbound. Why would it be?

Yes, there will still be south bound traffic, but less of it. After about 1/3 of the cars get off at Mackenzie, there are fewer vehicles to bunch up at Tillicum/Uptown than currently do at Mackenzie. And not so many to turn left at Tillicum as currently do at Mackenzie, meaning the extended left turn signal currently in place at Mackenzie doesn't get moved down to Tillicum. Which is great for northbound traffic.

Possible for the same reason it's a bit slow even when the light is green - having the merge all those cars coming in off the McKenzie merge lane.

It'll be interesting to see what the unintended consequences of changing the traffic flows at that intersection will be.

#6118 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 06:39 PM

Apparently 2 Transit buses have hit pedestrians this week (first I'm hearing of the one from Saturday and can't find any info on it either other than this article) https://vancouverisl...toria-1.4213375

#6119 kenmuir

kenmuir
  • 84 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 02:33 PM

There were signs on the Uptown bus stops today regarding the reroute of some routes onto Carey starting 2 Jan. I didn't have time to get a good look before my bus arrived, but a bunch of the buses that stop next to Whole Foods are moving to Carey instead, with more information in the Rider's guide. There's nothing on the BCT website about it right now.
  • Mike K. likes this

#6120 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 03:08 PM

There were signs on the Uptown bus stops today regarding the reroute of some routes onto Carey starting 2 Jan. I didn't have time to get a good look before my bus arrived, but a bunch of the buses that stop next to Whole Foods are moving to Carey instead, with more information in the Rider's guide. There's nothing on the BCT website about it right now.

I made some posts on the last two pages based on Google Maps info. The 32, 70, 71 will now use Ravine/Carey to get between Blanshard and Douglas and the 72 and 75 use Saanich. The 30/31 stay on Carey until Douglas both directions. 

• kenmuir likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users