Pubs in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
509 replies to this topic

#281 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 10:43 AM

it certainly seems to have the ability to quickly scale.  one sunny day in april and the deck can be packed.

#282 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 03:15 PM

The chef for the Local group was one of my best cooks at the OBM back in the day. He moved on to chateau Vic before taking the opening chef job at Little Jumbo. Hell of a leader, even way back then!

Matt.

#283 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 February 2019 - 01:44 AM

Speaking of pubs, the Local has pulled off a rare feat. They have managed to take a notorious tourist trap space and turn it into a decent year-round watering hole. 

Is the Local a pub or a restaurant that just tries to look like a pub?

Night-and-day difference, as far as I'm concerned.  A pub is a place you can go and hang around over a beer or two and watch the hockey game and feel comfortable doing so.  A restaurant is a place you can't hang around for long without getting the evil eye as they want to turn your table over...and they expect you  to eat as well as drink, even though the law in theory says you don't have to any more.

#284 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 13 February 2019 - 08:49 AM

Night-and-day difference, as far as I'm concerned.  A pub is a place you can go and hang around over a beer or two and watch the hockey game and feel comfortable doing so.  A restaurant is a place you can't hang around for long without getting the evil eye as they want to turn your table over...and they expect you  to eat as well as drink, even though the law in theory says you don't have to any more.

If that's the stick you're measuring with, then the Local is a pub (based on my experience there)

#285 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 08:57 AM

The Local is a pub. 

#286 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 13 February 2019 - 09:25 AM

Your statement doesn't make any sense.  Why would I want to turn over a table ordering my highest margin items (i.e., booze) in favour of one that orders my highest cost items (i.e., food)?  Perhaps you're frequenting the wrong restaurants.

• Matt R., jonny and Victoria Watcher like this

#287 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 09:41 AM

^also your table that's likely to produce the highest tip for your staff too.

• Bob Fugger and jonny like this

#288 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 09:49 AM

Most of the Local's business comes from the patio, which is clearly a "have a drink and hang out" location. And as long as people are buying $8 pints, I don't think they care one way or another if you get nachos with them.

• jonny likes this

#289 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 09:56 AM

Your statement doesn't make any sense.  Why would I want to turn over a table ordering my highest margin items (i.e., booze) in favour of one that orders my highest cost items (i.e., food)?  Perhaps you're frequenting the wrong restaurants.

So if I walked into, say, a sushi place and just sat a table drinking a beer on a busy night they would be cool with that?

#290 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 10:22 AM

So if I walked into, say, a sushi place and just sat a table drinking a beer on a busy night they would be cool with that?

My comment was more in reference to the context of "a pub or a restaurant that just tries to look like a pub."  That said, it would ultimately be up to restaurant policy, rather than legal impediment.  Hence, if he's getting the malocchio from his server, perhaps he should frequent a liquor primary establishment or a food primary establishment who doesn't frown upon that sort of thing.

#291 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 10:57 AM

From a server's perspective I would rather have a table of regular diners than a table just having a pint or two. Chances are each person will spend five or ten dollars more. I don't care as much about my boss's profit margin. Or so the theory goes until your table of diners is a family with two brats that leave your table like a disaster zone and tips a dollar seventy three.

Edited by Rob Randall, 13 February 2019 - 10:58 AM.

#292 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 11:15 AM

From a server's perspective I would rather have a table of regular diners than a table just having a pint or two. Chances are each person will spend five or ten dollars more. I don't care as much about my boss's profit margin. Or so the theory goes until your table of diners is a family with two brats that leave your table like a disaster zone and tips a dollar seventy three.

The level of server effort for delivering a couple of pints, or dealing with a group of diners are not equivalent. A server can handle a LOT more tables if they are just serving pints. I really doubt they make less money relative to expended effort.

• Bob Fugger likes this

#293 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 11:16 AM

They probably would be unless they're the Sushi Nazi...

#294 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 12:02 PM

The level of server effort for delivering a couple of pints, or dealing with a group of diners are not equivalent. A server can handle a LOT more tables if they are just serving pints. I really doubt they make less money relative to expended effort.

But just because a server can handle more customers doesn't mean their section will be made bigger unless the neighbouring server is struggling with their section.

#295 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 February 2019 - 02:01 PM

My comment was more in reference to the context of "a pub or a restaurant that just tries to look like a pub."  That said, it would ultimately be up to restaurant policy, rather than legal impediment.  Hence, if he's getting the malocchio from his server, perhaps he should frequent a liquor primary establishment or a food primary establishment who doesn't frown upon that sort of thing.

Exactly - liquor-primary is different than food-primary; though some that are one do their best to appear as if the other sometimes.

Last time I stopped by the Local (last summer I think) they told me they were a restaurant rather than a pub; I'm curious as to whether this has changed since.

#296 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 02:05 PM

they are a restaurant. but all it means these days is they must have food available at all times. nobody needs to order or eat it.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 February 2019 - 02:06 PM.

#297 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 13 February 2019 - 02:15 PM

They allow kids?

#298 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 02:19 PM

They allow kids?

all restaurants allow kids at all hours. by law.

#299 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 03:36 PM

Exactly - liquor-primary is different than food-primary; though some that are one do their best to appear as if the other sometimes.

Last time I stopped by the Local (last summer I think) they told me they were a restaurant rather than a pub; I'm curious as to whether this has changed since.

The telltale sign is generally the absence or presence of gaming.  Other than nightclubs. I can't think of a liquor primary that doesn't have Keno, pull tabs and/or video poker.  I believe that you also need a liquor primary for billiards and darts.

#300 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 05:47 AM

the store/herald pub was approved for 9am to 2am hours.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users