Victoria radio stations

• Please log in to reply
266 replies to this topic

#181 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,979 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 07:15 PM

Yikes, hope you pay your SOCAN fees. They can sink you if you don’t.

We stream the commercial Stingray from Shaw, SOCAN fees included, they assure me.

Matt.

#182 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,782 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 07:26 PM

No we don't pay. Just make use of the many free online streaming services. Other small shops like us could do the same - we have one location, 2 or 3 staff at most.

I realize the chains pay fees for a service. Red Barn is a chain now. So why be cheap and play the radio? I would think they would want to create an environment that would induce people to stay and buy stuff, not run out as soon as the ad or announcer comes on (which is what I do)?

With my business, I have always tried to have nothing that would turn a potential customer off - we don't have a pet (dog or cat) in the store, no signs of any kind that give away our political or religious opinions. And we don't have the radio playing with the annoying ads or announcers. I want the broadest scope of folks wanting to buy stuff from me.

I see. well technically you are supposed to pay a Canadian licensing fee just like any commercial space rec centre doctors office waiting room whatever. even if your source is “free” or even cds you bought you should pay a fee. red barn seems odd. their fee would probably be higher but still pretty small on the grand scheme.

Fees for retail stores:

http://www.socan.com...card_15A_EN.pdf

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 09 February 2019 - 07:31 PM.

#183 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 09:16 PM

No we don't pay. Just make use of the many free online streaming services. Other small shops like us could do the same - we have one location, 2 or 3 staff at most.

Er, surely you know the Garlic Rose restaurant on Wharf Street got a bill for $52,000 for not paying SOCAN fees? Do you want to stay in business?

#184 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,420 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 10:19 PM

Who knows, Red Barn might be facing a large fee and they just opted for radio.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#185 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 11:10 PM

They do have the choice of playing nothing. So instead they are opting for turning off folks versus paying a fee for no ad music? I bet if you ask most shoppers, they wouldn't notice or couldn't care what was playing in the store.

#186 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 11:14 PM

Er, surely you know the Garlic Rose restaurant on Wharf Street got a bill for $52,000 for not paying SOCAN fees? Do you want to stay in business?

We are in an extremely small industry. No worry what so ever that SOCAN are going to come after us. We have been in business for about 30 years.

#187 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 11:15 PM

Yikes, hope you pay your SOCAN fees. They can sink you if you don’t.

We stream the commercial Stingray from Shaw, SOCAN fees included, they assure me.

Matt.

What is the cost per month?

#188 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,979 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 11:25 PM

You’d have to look that up, depends on business type, size, maybe other factors?

I do know it’s not really optional though, nor is it good business.

Matt.

#189 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 11:29 PM

You’d have to look that up, depends on business type, size, maybe other factors?

I do know it’s not really optional though, nor is it good business.

Matt.

Don't think you understood the question. Not asking about the SOCAN fees. Asking about commercial Stingray. 

#190 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,979 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 11:33 PM

Oh, of course. I’d have to double check my bill but I think as an add on it’s about $15 a month.

Matt.

#191 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 11:38 PM

Thank you.

So why is Red Barn not willing to pay that??? That is stupidly cheap. Not even the tip on a large group meal at your restaurant!

Even as a little store we would do that if we had to.

#192 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,979 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 11:42 PM

Beats me as to what they do, I have just heard too many horror stories of little mom and pops getting busted for not paying their SOCAN fees, it’s just not worth it. I also don’t see any reason to not pay the artists for their work.

Matt.
  • vortoozo likes this

#193 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 12:56 AM

They do have the choice of playing nothing. So instead they are opting for turning off folks versus paying a fee for no ad music? I bet if you ask most shoppers, they wouldn't notice or couldn't care what was playing in the store.

I think you just answered your own question

#194 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,782 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 05:36 AM

red barn is facing that class action suit maybe they are saving pennies.

their fee would be more than $15/mo. though.

#195 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,420 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 10:33 AM

Everyone has their “thing” they don’t like about something or other. For Redd it’s radio stations at local shops. But it’s not really a big deal.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#196 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,782 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 10:40 AM

i shake my head a bit when I hear it. like matt says why not pay $15 or whatever. my bigger issue is when business let young staff play whatever they want. most people do not want to hear drake at the local bakery.

#197 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,420 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 10:42 AM

My pet peeve are commercials on television screens at bars when the volume is turned up. You’ve got a game in the background and it’s all good, then suddenly you’re inundated with Toyota commercials. Not cool. I’m not excited about paying $8/beer to sit through 25 minutes of commercials every hour.

Know it all.

#198 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,782 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 10:47 AM

My pet peeve are commercials on television screens at bars when the volume is turned up. You’ve got a game in the background and it’s all good, then suddenly you’re inundated with Toyota commercials. Not cool. I’m not excited about paying $8/beer to sit through 25 minutes of commercials every hour.

i agree. I’ve been to bars in other cities where they dim the volume or fade in music at commercials. it’s actuslly quite pleasant.

any sports bar that is so busy to have the volume up for a game ought to have a host / hostess to handle the duty.

most tv sports have so much screen graphics it’s hard to know why volume is needed most of the time outside of super bowl or world cup final.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 10 February 2019 - 10:51 AM.

• Mattjvd likes this

#199 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,782 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 10:01 AM

while reading up on ckkq for another thread here it got me thinking.

how does the radio station signal go from the radio station building, to the big transmitter? 

in the case of the q it's on the malahat.  i think for cfax it's on trial island.

edit:

C-FAX signed on in September 11, 1959 as a daytime-only 1000-watt radio station on 810 kHz, shutting down every night to accommodate clear-channel KGO. Its transmitter was at a site near Swan Lake. The original owner's group included the Queale family, who also owned the local Queale Electronics store. The station, undercapitalized from the beginning, quickly ran into financial trouble, with Clare Copeland emerging as owner and manager. In 1964, the station changed dial position to 1070 kHz, and commenced 24/7 operation, transmitting from the Trial Islands. In 1967, power was increased to 10,000 watts.

Clare Copeland sold the station in 1975 to Mel Cooper, who stepped down as General Manager of CKNW Vancouver to assume ownership of CFAX. Under Cooper's direction, the station increased its emphasis on news and information programming, and developed a subsidiary company specializing in recording original commercial jingles for sale throughout North America, and syndicating radio programming, "Seacoast Sound."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CFAX

how do they get power to trial islands?  is there a cable under the sea?

lighthouse.jpg?itok=KIHSJtNb

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 June 2020 - 10:11 AM.

#200 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 10:06 AM

I'm gonna go...microwave relay, Regis, final answer.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users