Victoria radio stations

• Please log in to reply
266 replies to this topic

#201 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,797 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 09:35 PM

Off topic a bit but interesting to some here, as Rogers announces cuts close to home and further abroad.

https://broadcastdia...tYLbVQfJ2kcuOvM

Matt.

#202 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 10:46 PM

Radio? Cable? I'm confused by these comments. Kind of similar to antennas. And I've already admitted I'm some what old. 

#203 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,003 posts

Posted 19 November 2020 - 04:38 AM

It’s a golden anniversary for CKNW AM 980 Vancouver host Stirling Faux, who is marking 50 years in the radio business this weekend. Originally signing on November 15, 1970 as a host for CKSO in Sudbury, ON, his career took him to Toronto, Quebec City, Vancouver, Calgary, and back to Vancouver again, where he’s been ever since. Faux is likely the only person to spend significant time on-air at all four Corus Radio Vancouver stations.  

https://www.pugetsou...akes-it-golden/

#204 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,510 posts

Posted 19 November 2020 - 09:15 AM

Amazing that anyone can last that long in that industry above all others; the shelf life of a 'jock' in recent years is very finite as my Vancouver DJ buddies will tell anyone willing to listen. Once upon a time back in the Middle Ages you could expect to have a very nice career in local radio (or TV) but those days are long gone. Stirling Faux is an institution I remember listening to him on CKLG when I was barely in my teens. Congrats to him, very well deserved.

• Mike K. and FogPub like this

#205 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,003 posts

Posted 19 November 2020 - 10:17 AM

yes he’s got great style.

#206 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,510 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 09:55 PM

Never been a fan particularly of the "Q" for various reasons but even less so today, after idly flipping through several stations in the truck while waiting for Mrs ASE who was shopping last night; I paused on the Q only because they were playing one of my fav "Who" tunes.

At its conclusion naturally I was rather quite surprised, which is to say shocked, to learn "that was.....the Who, with lead singer PeteR TownSHED.....".

Wowwwww. Actually PETE TownSEND was the principal guitarist and lyricist of the band and not actually the lead singer. Most fans over age 25 will know that function was actually fulfilled by one Roger Daltrey. How on earth someone can get a job as an on-air jock on a (reputedly) leading "rock" format radio station playing a song by one of the most influential "rock" bands of the last half century and make a blunder like that is beyond me.

I suppose next we'll learn from Mr Cool Q Rock Jock that "Mike Jagger" is the front man for the Stones or that "John Lenin" (cousin of Vladimir Ilyich?) was the brains behind the Beatles. Geez.....

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

#207 m3m

m3m
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 29 November 2021 - 11:32 AM

It's actually Pete Townshend. https://en.wikipedia.../Pete_Townshend

• Matt R. likes this

#208 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,510 posts

Posted 29 November 2021 - 12:09 PM

It's actually Pete Townshend. https://en.wikipedia.../Pete_Townshend

True that and once upon a time in the mists of time I even knew how to spell it correctly. At least I knew who it wasn't.

#209 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 29 November 2021 - 01:41 PM

Ha ha... semi-related, I showed my oldest the 'standard' 4 panelled John/Paul/George/Ringo picture a few days ago.."Who's that?" asks he!

Sh!t! I'm failing as a parent!

(or, perhaps, we are just progressing into the "Get off my lawn!" phase of our lives!  :banana: )

• AllseeingEye likes this
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#210 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,510 posts

Posted 29 November 2021 - 08:58 PM

When our kidlin was about 15 she completely shocked me when I asked if she knew who John Lennon was - she got it right first time and actually in a broader context even had some vague awareness of who and what the Beatles were... :).

As for kicking people off my lawn :) I decided a long long time ago that as I got older I would not become one of those irksome folks whose uniform response to anything new and shiny or improved over when they remembered said place or item from 'younger days' was "It was better in the good old days!!", and its close cousin "The good old days!" -> this one is usually a refrain seen on Facebook on any group post showing a picture of Victoria circa 2021 replete with all those nasty high rises....

For the most part I've been successful although on occasion I do fall off that horse. As I grew up in a media household I got to see up close and personal how it was done: if you're going to work at a ROCK radio station its probably a good idea to know a little something about the the bands whose music you air for a living.

Similarly there is a Global News (Vancouver) newsreader who's name I will not mention; suffice it to say that guy routinely violates TV News Rule Number One, namely that your job is solely to inform the audience - dispassionately and impartially, without bias and without rendering obvious judgements one way or the other. Period. The End.

This dude is priceless because its paaaaainfully obvious from his facial expressions, his eyes and above all especially the tone of voice when he really doesn't like someone or something. And that is a big no-no.

#211 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,797 posts

Posted 29 June 2022 - 11:27 AM

Read on FB that Rogers canned all the on air staff at Kiss FM and the last dj out put “Killing in the Name” on loop before he left. It’s been an hour or more, still playing.

Edited by Matt R., 29 June 2022 - 11:28 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#212 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 29 June 2022 - 01:36 PM

According to Twitter it has been thus since 6 am and as of 2:30 pm, still going.

• Matt R. likes this

#213 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 29 June 2022 - 02:31 PM

There is the theory that this is just a marketing stunt on part of the station.

It has been done before. Play one piece of music endlessly to introduce a format change.

#214 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 932 posts

Posted 29 June 2022 - 02:35 PM

If it's a marketing stunt, it worked. It's in Rolling Stone: https://www.rollings...ayoffs-1376288/

#215 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 29 June 2022 - 02:35 PM

If that’s the case, Killing in the Name would fit a hard rock genre station.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#216 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,510 posts

Posted 29 June 2022 - 03:47 PM

Don't think its a stunt, my DJ pal from Vancouver nudged me about this a few hours ago, two of the top personalities were canned and hinted before leaving that big changes (in music format) were afoot. Man am I glad I never took the step into the biz following my dad - who would have ever foreseen in the heyday back in the 80's what a shambles the industry would become largely due to technology and even more so due to corporate takeovers and consolidation. Ducked a big bullet there.....

Edited by AllseeingEye, 29 June 2022 - 03:48 PM.

#217 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,003 posts

Posted 29 June 2022 - 03:51 PM

If you are good, still big money though, right?

Howard Stern. Tucker Carlson. Ryan Seacrest. Don Imus. Sean Hannity. Glenn Beck.

At one time it was rumoured Barry Bowman locally was making $100,000/yr. Or about $225,000 in today dollars.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 29 June 2022 - 04:03 PM.

#218 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 29 June 2022 - 03:58 PM

Again according to Twitter, there is still a DJ there taking calls. People are either requesting RATM or something else, but of course only the same song still gets played.

#219 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 29 June 2022 - 04:50 PM

Definitely a format change.

On the live stream, someone called in and asked for RATM. The on-air person said they were new to town and asked the caller about raging. Caller said they rage every day that ends in Y.

#220 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,003 posts

Posted 29 June 2022 - 04:53 PM

Reliably, Puget Sound Radio has more:

https://www.pugetsou...-after-layoffs/

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users