Victoria gas prices | Victoria utility prices

• Please log in to reply
2164 replies to this topic

#1721 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 07 July 2021 - 06:37 AM

Oh ok, they increase prices so people won’t buy their product. What was I thinking?

#1722 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 07 July 2021 - 06:39 AM

Long Weekends are also known for short blips in the price. The price will jump on the Thursday by 5-7 cents, then fall back down on the Tuesday.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1723 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,867 posts

Posted 07 July 2021 - 06:39 AM

Oh ok, they increase prices so people won’t buy their product. What was I thinking?

so they won't buy too much of it at a lower price.  they will buy less but at a higher unit price.  so it's all win for the seller.  he holds back supply to sell another day.

gasoline isn't like cans of soup.  it's relatively hard/expensive to store (due to limited facilities) and ramp up/down supply.  better to keep supply more smooth and regulate that by using price.  consumers would be more mad if they had no supply at all for 5 days than they will be at a 5 cent hike over a time frame.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 July 2021 - 06:44 AM.

#1724 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 07 July 2021 - 06:45 AM

The EV network has to step up its game to be reliable enough, I feel. I still encounter those atrocious Nissans hogging all chargers at grocery stores, for hours at a time. Gotta save that $4.

Until every gas station has several fast chargers it’s a bit of a fool’s game if you can’t charge at home with a fast charger. And if you’re travelling, charge anxiety is always on the back of your mind. And it’s not just access to a charger, but the time you’ll waste waiting for the charger, then charging.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1725 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 07 July 2021 - 06:50 AM

that's where my fleet of diesel-powered mobile charging trucks comes in.  we pull up alongside you on the highway and our tom cruise / tom hardy type guy goes out on a platform and plugs you in.  it's a fast charge because we use tons of diesel per hour, so we are only alongside for 20-30 minutes.  

mad-max-big-rig-p02-fe1e.jpg

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 July 2021 - 06:52 AM.

• Mike K. likes this

#1726 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 07 July 2021 - 06:55 AM

Every Nissan Leaf driver’s dream, I’m sure.

Here’s the thing. Don’t buy a brand new car off the lot, and you’re saving $20,000 in purchase price, taxes and immediate depreciation. So there’s your fuel costs for the next 5-7 years.

Buy a two year old car and you’ll have a decade-plus of fuel costs covered within the price you would have paid to drive that Kia off the lot.

Know it all.

#1727 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 07 July 2021 - 06:55 AM

Then we need to figure out the puzzle that has eluded Horgan.

What underground communication system is used to co-ordinate competitors in the gas business to arrive at the exact same selling price within a matter of minutes not days.
  • sebberry likes this

#1728 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 07 July 2021 - 06:57 AM

They all use the same refineries, which dictate the price. The gas stations are just retail brands, like grocery stores, and they use the same fuel supply but might have a few different cocktails of cleaning agents, like what you’d see with in-house cola brands made by the same factory but relabelled for the consumer.

In a nutshell.

Know it all.

#1729 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 07 July 2021 - 07:00 AM

Ultimately our problem in southwest BC is we lack sufficient refining capacity. We rely on the US a great deal to refine our supply, and the costs change daily due to the US exchange rate. We’re in a real mess on the coast here.

And just wait for a natural disaster. Fuel will dry up and be unavailable for weeks, maybe months as priority goes to emergency vehicles and VIPs. That’s when being cable to solar trickle charge an EV will be advantageous, if the software lets you!

Know it all.

#1730 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 07 July 2021 - 07:05 AM

And just wait for a natural disaster. Fuel will dry up and be unavailable for weeks, maybe months as priority goes to emergency vehicles and VIPs. That’s when being cable to solar trickle charge an EV will be advantageous, if the software lets you!

that's where my stationary-bike power generator comes in.

maxresdefault.jpg

but now you will need to store lots of high-calorie food at home.  and maybe a fleet of kids.  not just water that i said earlier.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 July 2021 - 07:06 AM.

#1731 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 07 July 2021 - 07:22 AM

Ultimately our problem in southwest BC is we lack sufficient refining capacity. We rely on the US a great deal to refine our supply, and the costs change daily due to the US exchange rate. We’re in a real mess on the coast here.

Any bets that Statscan doesn't count fuel prices this time in its inflation update?!

• Mike K. likes this

#1732 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 07 July 2021 - 07:28 AM

Or the a dozen of other factors that drive real-world inflation.

Know it all.

#1733 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 07 July 2021 - 07:37 AM

don't forget that we all have a generator in our homes today.

if your power goes out, plug in your vacuum cleaner and blow hard into the business end.  all other appliances currently plugged in in the house should fire up as long as you keep the wind going.

maybe sparky can confirm that's accurate.  and give us the expected wattages.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 July 2021 - 07:40 AM.

#1734 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 July 2021 - 07:40 AM

don't forget that we all have a generator in our homes today.

if your power goes out, plug in your vacuum cleaner and blow hard into the business end.  all other appliances currently plugged in in the house should fire up as long as you keep the wind going.

maybe sparky can confirm that's accurate.

Only you can generate enough hot air to make that work :D

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1735 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 07 July 2021 - 07:46 AM

i think if you blow hard enough a few of your neighbours might get some power too.  if you don't feel comfortable blowing directly into it you can spin around fast keeping the nozzle facing forward to the direction of the spin - same principle as kids blowing bubbles.  and the same theory as how a jet engine works.  most modern vacuum cleaners are essentially small "reverse" electric jet engines.  same with blenders.   next time you are boarding a flight toss a few ice cubes into the engine from in front.  instant margarita mix out the back. 

i'm not sure which method will cause more dizziness to be honest.  the last idea at the very least might have your flight delayed.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 July 2021 - 07:57 AM.

#1736 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 07 July 2021 - 09:30 AM

Nice try, pal--last time you tried to give me a vacuum cleaner trick I spent three hours at the urologist's office.

• sebberry and Victoria Watcher like this

#1737 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 07 July 2021 - 09:46 AM

This is why we’ve stopped introducing VV’ers to each other.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.

#1738 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 July 2021 - 10:06 AM

This is why we’ve stopped introducing VV’ers to each other.

What really happened at the Christmas parties after I left the dinner?  :redface:

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1739 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 07 July 2021 - 10:50 AM

That’s what my proctologist said.
  • Mike K. and todd like this

#1740 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 07 July 2021 - 01:11 PM

^ can I get the rubber chicken back?
  • sebberry likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users