• Please log in to reply
21591 replies to this topic

#15121 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,509 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 May 2021 - 02:26 PM

they can put the Irving baseball bat guy in tiny homes.

and the beacon hill knife guy at Russell.

safety.

What about the Alberta Camaro guy and the LA prison guy?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#15122 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 02:32 PM

What about the Alberta Camaro guy and the LA prison guy?

one at the arena.  and one at city centre hotel.

#15123 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 02:47 PM

Oops.

vicnews1.jpg

vicnews2.jpg

• Nparker, sebberry, todd and 2 others like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#15124 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 02:51 PM

Now that Ms. Skrypnek mentions it, I do remember a time when one could walk through Beacon Hill Park with one's family, and not have to run away from a man brandishing a knife.

• aastra, A Girl is No one, rmpeers and 1 other like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#15125 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 03:04 PM

Now that Ms. Skrypnek mentions it, I do remember a time when one could walk through Beacon Hill Park with one's family, and not have to run away from a man brandishing a knife.

oh sure.  beacon hill park.  but irving is probably safe, right?

• Mike K. likes this

#15126 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 03:12 PM

I do remember a time when one could walk through Beacon Hill Park with one's family, and not have to run away from a man brandishing a knife.

For sure. In the good old days it was more than sufficient to just back away slowly whenever a career criminal brandished a knife against your family at the BHP playground. There was no need to run. That's why Victoria had such a well-deserved reputation for being safe.

Times sure have changed.

• Mike K. likes this

#15127 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 03:17 PM

You're suggesting some people still perceive reality based on their own experiences and observations rather than perceiving vicariously through government press releases and corporate news broadcasts?

There's no actual "oops" there. That gaslighting ping-pong game is nothing new in news coverage. They tell you one thing one day and then tell you the exact opposite thing the next day (in some cases they do it within the same news item, and in very extreme cases they do it within the same sentence).

A fun example from back in the day was this cougar flap in 1998...

Cougar sightings = You're mistaken, there's no cougar.
More cougar sightings = You're delusional, there's no cougar.
Still more cougar sightings = You're putting us on, there's no cougar.

Okay, there actually is a cougar and it's brazenly occupying a commercial building in one of the city's densest neighbourhoods. But doesn't it seem odd that a cougar could roam city streets for two weeks without anyone noticing?

• Mike K. and pennymurphy2000 like this

#15128 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 03:26 PM

https://twitter.com/Adam_Stirling

• A Girl is No one likes this

#15129 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 419 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 03:46 PM

To be fair to the Mayor, she never specifically said who the park was safe for. 

Criminals, safe

Everyone else, not so much.

• Nparker, Love the rock and Victoria Watcher like this

#15130 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 04:10 PM

It would be neat if the reporters over at the Victoria news would take a moment to revisit all of the past stories about "perceptions of crime" in Victoria (some of which can be found here) and do some actual investigative journalism on this topic. Some questions they could ask, if they so dared:

- why is "perception of crime" a recurring news story in the first place?

- why is the public's perception of crime always erroneous, and why do people always mistakenly think there's more crime than there actually is rather than less crime than there actually is?

- if crime levels never actually increase then why is the public never able to acclimate to the status quo, even after many years or decades?

- why are the causes of erroneous perception constantly changing?

- if erroneous perceptions of crime are now caused by the diminished gatekeeping powers* of corporate news media then how do we explain erroneous perceptions of crime in decades past, when corporate news media still had the gate locked tight and guarded by machine guns and flamethrowers?

*sniff, so sad

• Nparker and A Girl is No one like this

#15131 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 04:51 PM

screenshot-twitter.com-2021.05.03-19_23_32.png

Let’s not forget that Eby and the NDP are empowering CoV council. They are equally responsible for this mess.
  • Nparker, sebberry, grantpalin and 3 others like this

#15132 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 05:42 PM

#15133 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,437 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 12:17 PM

Armed Man Arrested After Car Windows Smashed, Witness Threatened

May 4, 2021 - File: #21-17138

Victoria, BC – Patrol officers arrested an armed man who smashed vehicle windows and then threatened a witness yesterday morning.

Shortly after 8:30 a.m. on MondayMay 3rd, Patrol officers were called to the area of Chambers and Grant streets after several people called 911 to report that a man was smashing vehicle windows. When officers arrived, they learned the suspect had fled the area after threatening to stab a witness.

Armed with a description of the suspect, officers began to search for the man and located him near Haultain Street and Avebury Avenue. Officers observed the man throw an object to the ground as they moved to take him into custody. He was arrested without additional incident. Officers located the object and discovered it was a knife.

The investigation indicated that the man was responsible for smashing the windows of at least three different vehicles. The man faces additional charges from similar previous incidents where he allegedly smashed windows in vehicles and businesses in the Downtown and Burnside Gorge neighbourhoods. He has more than 20 previous criminal convictions including mischiefs, assaults, and assaults with weapons.

Officers transported the man to VicPD cells, where he was processed and released on conditions with a future court date.

A photograph of one of the damaged vehicles is below.

This file remains under investigation. If you have information about this incident, or discovered your vehicle damaged but have not yet spoken with officers, please call the VicPD Report Desk at (250) 995-7654 extension 1. To report what you know anonymously, please call Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

21-17138-one-of-three-vehicles-damaged-7

#15134 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 12:38 PM

...He has more than 20 previous criminal convictions including mischiefs, assaults, and assaults with weapons...

But as a result of Canada's "justice system" (LOL) he was free to wreak havoc on city streets.  :whyme:

• A Girl is No one likes this

#15135 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 02:52 PM

But as a result of Canada's "justice system" (LOL) he was free to wreak havoc on city streets.  :whyme:

And apparently back out again an hour later.

• A Girl is No one and Victoria Watcher like this

#15136 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 04:48 PM

All of us who pay for police support and the legal system also have to pay for the damage the criminals cause to our property as they perpetually get released (when we’re lucky enough that it’s not worse than just property!).

Could there be grounds for a lawsuit here on dereliction of duty or something to that effect? (I’m obviously no lawyer!)
  • sebberry likes this

#15137 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,437 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 05:56 PM

‘My wife thought I was going to die’: Dad threatened with knife in Beacon Hill Park speaks out

May 5, 2021

Joseph Liimatta couldn’t wait to take his new wife and six-month-old baby to Beacon Hill Park in Victoria.

But their outing to the popular park on Saturday afternoon took a violent turn.

laura.png

“I feel very scared, it was a horrible experience,” Joseph’s wife, Laura Liimatta, told CHEK News.

Joseph says a man and woman were doing drugs in the washroom by the playground and blocked him and an elderly couple from using it. “He just lost it on me, he started swearing, cursing every name in the book at me and said I have mental issues,” Joseph says. He says the man then came running at him.

“I backed away and he pulled out a knife on me,” Joseph recounts. “My wife was literally screaming ‘murder’ thinking I was going to die.”

joseph.png
Joseph Liimatta

Morehttps://www.cheknews...aks-out-778687/

#15138 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 06:20 PM

Mayor Helps has stated via a clip on CFAX today that moving people indoors should lessen crime, which indicates she agrees that the encampments were plagued by criminality.
  • A Girl is No one, Barrrister and Victoria Watcher like this

Know it all.

#15139 sablefish

sablefish
  • 15 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 04 May 2021 - 07:10 PM

I'm glad that couple and other crime victims have come forward to put a face on the issue, so people (like the Mayor!) can't pretend it isn't happening.

I've been raising my kids in James Bay since they were toddlers many years ago, and none of the stuff that's been happening in and around BHP or Irving Park this year is at all normal. Been in and out of those washrooms and through the park with kids many times over the years - no issues. Things were fine until council turned the parks into open air shelters for addicts and the mentally ill. I'm sure they have their struggles, but kids and physically disabled people and old people are vulnerable people too. Their safety counts, too.

Some highlights from this year:

- searching for a geocache in Irving Park with my son under the relentless gaze of a couple of drugged zombies sitting in a tent (never found the cache because we didn't want to get too close to where they were)

- walking through BHP with my kids a couple of weeks ago and getting carefully looked over by a trio of rather fit looking middle aged men with some very nice bikes arranged around their tents (first time I ever played the don't-make-eye-contact game in BHP)

None of these events were crimes or resulted in a call to police, so according to the news and council, I must have been perceiving things that weren't there. And for the record, as of this morning, there were as many tents in Irving Park and Beacon Hill Park as at any time since council let them in, so I don't know what the mayor is talking about.

• Mike K., Nparker, sebberry and 4 others like this

#15140 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 07:16 PM

It’s time to write to Eby and complain. He used our money to bribe us into tolerating this longer. Time we get our money’s worth, and call those activist, ideologues out for what they are.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)