Pacific FC | Canadian Premier League

• Please log in to reply
649 replies to this topic

#241 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,862 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 08:01 AM

from what I can see there are no underfinanced teams. including ours.

but I think we know they all need 5000 average attendance to work.

so long term that’s what they need. I’m still uncertain they will ever get there. live sports attendance is trending down not up in all sports.
  • Hotel Mike likes this

#242 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 09:11 AM

No doubt fuelled in part by drinking and driving laws and the cost of refreshments at stadiums. The ticket might only be $20 but you’ll spend $50 for two drinks and two light snacks.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#243 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,862 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 09:16 AM

I think it’s also fueled by the 1000 channel universe hd tv and cheap big screens. which is all great for televised teams/leagues.

but for smaller clubs it’s a problem.

I also think sports teams suffer from other pursuits like video games. it’s cheaper and easier to keep your kid entertained with an app than it is taking them to a game for $80 for the family. $120 for pfc soccer.
  • lanforod likes this

#244 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 10:12 AM

from what I can see there are no underfinanced teams. including ours.

but I think we know they all need 5000 average attendance to work.

so long term that’s what they need. I’m still uncertain they will ever get there. live sports attendance is trending down not up in all sports.

Even if teams are well financed, nobody wants to have to keep writing a cheque unless there is a branding/marketing angle for their business or the prestige outweighs the money.

#245 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,862 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 10:15 AM

right. nobody got rich by losing money. including these team owners. big league teams can lose money because somehow they keep gaining value.

but if a league goes bust all teams have zero value.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 May 2019 - 10:18 AM.

#246 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,862 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 10:17 AM

and sometimes you can say “well they make money from tv and sponsorships more than ticket sales”. but if they have poor attendance who will pay big sponsorship money?

#247 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 10:19 AM

I understand that the League only has a few teams at the moment and they are spread across the country, but I have to think that having a home game once every two weeks on average makes it hard to maintain momentum.

#248 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,862 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 10:22 AM

I actually think the 15 games and spacing is not bad.

lots of opportunities for group sales. for that you need lead time.
  • tedward likes this

#249 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,862 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 02:02 PM

forge hamilton - 17611 then 5861 - average 11736
pacific fc - 5100 then 2360 - average 3730
halifax - 6200
calgary - 3486 then 2055 - average 2770
winnipeg - 10156 then 5763 - average 7959
edmonton - 4238
york - no home game yet 

#250 Brayvehart

Brayvehart
  • 38 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia

Posted 12 May 2019 - 03:01 PM

A rather toothless performance in Edmonton this afternoon. Especially considering that Pacific FC had a man advantage for 63 minutes. FC Edmonton seemed more threatening for most of the game.

Edited to add:

To date I have only missed streaming the midweek games between Pacific FC/Valour FC and the 2nd half of Cavalry FC/Valour FC.

Edited by Brayvehart, 12 May 2019 - 03:09 PM.

• tedward likes this

#251 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,862 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 03:10 PM

how is the stream quality?

#252 Brayvehart

Brayvehart
  • 38 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia

Posted 12 May 2019 - 04:35 PM

No complaints thus far. The odd audio glitch, but it doesn't take away from the viewing experience. Visual quality is very good.
  • Mike K., thundergun and Victoria Watcher like this

#253 m3m

m3m
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 09:31 AM

Watched the Calvary v. Forge game on cbc on the weekend.  I was impressed with the quality of the broadcast in terms of commentary, analysis, graphics, etc.  It certainly didn't seem to be a "budget" league.  While the quality wasn't quite the same level as the EPL game I watched earlier in the morning, the game provided enough drama, including a last-minute game winner to keep me hooked.  The crowd seemed pretty loud throughout the game despite grueling weather conditions. 

I think the real test as to whether this league will be a success is whether TSN, Sportsnet, RDS, etc. start showing the game highlights.  Those three will make the league a tiger. 

• tedward likes this

#254 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 11:01 AM

Watched the Calvary v. Forge game on cbc on the weekend.  I was impressed with the quality of the broadcast in terms of commentary, analysis, graphics, etc.  It certainly didn't seem to be a "budget" league.  While the quality wasn't quite the same level as the EPL game I watched earlier in the morning, the game provided enough drama, including a last-minute game winner to keep me hooked.  The crowd seemed pretty loud throughout the game despite grueling weather conditions. 

I think the real test as to whether this league will be a success is whether TSN, Sportsnet, RDS, etc. start showing the game highlights.  Those three will make the league a tiger. 

I am pretty sure I have seen advertising for it on Sportsnet during the playoff games lately but maybe I imagined it 

#255 Brayvehart

Brayvehart
  • 38 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia

Posted 13 May 2019 - 11:53 AM

Watched the Calvary v. Forge game on cbc on the weekend. I was impressed with the quality of the broadcast in terms of commentary, analysis, graphics, etc. It certainly didn't seem to be a "budget" league. While the quality wasn't quite the same level as the EPL game I watched earlier in the morning, the game provided enough drama, including a last-minute game winner to keep me hooked. The crowd seemed pretty loud throughout the game despite grueling weather conditions.

I think the real test as to whether this league will be a success is whether TSN, Sportsnet, RDS, etc. start showing the game highlights. Those three will make the league a tiger.

How about that Camargo miss during the 2nd half?! Shocking.

#256 Brayvehart

Brayvehart
  • 38 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia

Posted 13 May 2019 - 12:03 PM

I envision the CPL as eventually equivalent to European Leagues like the Eredivisie (Netherlands), Belgian First Division A, or Scottish Premier League. The very best players from these nations ply their trade in the larger leagues (EPL,La Liga, Serie A, etc.), but many youngsters that move onto national team stardom initially cut their teeth in their domestic league. It can only benefit the Canadian game in the long run.
  • tedward likes this

#257 Brayvehart

Brayvehart
  • 38 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia

Posted 13 May 2019 - 12:26 PM

How about that Camargo miss during the 2nd half?! Shocking.

Too late to edit the above post; said miss occurs at about 1:13 in the this highlight reel: https://youtu.be/1FpHi5TnLVA

#258 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,862 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 06:53 PM

reports peg tonight’s westhills crowd at under 1500.

#259 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,862 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 07:31 PM

photos right around game time tonight.

#260 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,862 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 08:38 PM

announced crowd 2294. No pfc goal again, 3 straight games no goal. we lose 2-0.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users