City of Victoria looks to rein in horse-drawn carriages

• Please log in to reply
527 replies to this topic

#441 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 08:11 AM

That’s why the carriage industry came out united on Thursday. But that’s now how it works 99% of the rest of the time.

The proof is in the pudding, and why the business community, in general, remains quiet over political issues.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#442 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 08:12 AM

The business community is busy running businesses. That’s really the issue. The other issue is terms are four years long, which means the time necessary to dedicate to politics has increased by 33%. Four years is a long, long time to dedicate to something you’ve never done and might not like or be good at.

The way things are going is activists, political career hopefuls and folks with nothing to lose by ditching a low-paying job in favour of another paying job, but with power and prestige, are what’s left.

Another thing you have to consider, when we imagine the "business community" we tend to think of the Kelly Armstrong, Bob Cross, Clive Tanner generation, the boomers. Today's business owners are the Tacofinos, the Habit Coffees; men (and women) born in the 80s and later. There's no guarantee they're at the same spot on the political spectrum as their predecessors. 

• Coreyburger, sebberry, Awaiting Juno and 1 other like this

#443 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 08:20 AM

isitt blames cfax.

...the media is the enemy of the people...

#444 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 08:20 AM

Remind me who Clive Tanner is, if you could?

But yes, that’s a great point.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#445 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 25 May 2019 - 08:26 AM

Another thing you have to consider, when we imagine the "business community" we tend to think of the Kelly Armstrong, Bob Cross, Clive Tanner generation, the boomers. Today's business owners are the Tacofinos, the Habit Coffees; men (and women) born in the 80s and later. There's no guarantee they're at the same spot on the political spectrum as their predecessors. 

I agree, but regardless of how far "left" you are when you graduate from school ... when you have your life savings wrapped up in your business, and when you depend on that business to pay your mortgage, and when you have employees who you know just a bit too well who are dependant on your paying them every second Friday ... it tends to drag your political beliefs just a bit further to the right than they otherwise might be.

But IMO it's only the business community that can effectively push back against what we currently have installed at COV City Hall.

If the business community either can't, or won't push back ... then we're going to see a lot more of what we saw the other night ... minus any guarantee that defeating Isitt's motions is a done deal. Eventually, Isitt is going to start making headway with is plan for the COV ... and it won't be pretty.

What other group could provide an effective counter-punch against Isitt and his cronies?

• Nparker and Awaiting Juno like this

#446 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 08:47 AM

...But IMO it's only the business community that can effectively push back against what we currently have installed at COV City Hall....

I did my best last October to cast my ballot for candidates that I hoped would bring a sense of balance to CoV council. Alas, it seems they didn't stand a chance against the local SJW machine.  :(

• mbjj and Awaiting Juno like this

#447 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 09:31 AM

I suspect one of the impediments to local businesses getting involved is fear of reprisal. If a local businessman ran for council, and for example, suggested we do a better job of enforcing existing bylaws downtown, there would be a large protest in front of his business attacking him for hate speech and organizing a boycott of his operation. That's a pretty serious disincentive for getting involved.

Look how the TV slate tried to label a gay atheist with professional expertise in stopping workplace bullying as a dangerous right-winger!

• Nparker, Midnightly, pennymurphy2000 and 3 others like this

#448 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 09:36 AM

No kidding.

Just like they tried to label the carriage industry as an animal abusing, profit-driven slave trade. Those were literally the terms that appeared at the public hearing. Oh, and “I am a paid activist” did as well, lol.
  • rjag, pennymurphy2000, Awaiting Juno and 1 other like this

Know it all.

#449 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 02:49 PM

Isitt said that public debate over the issue had resulted in “ad hominem” attacks and suggested the protest and packed council chamber was at least in part due to broadcast media’s “political organizing.”

“It’s apparent that CFAX Radio and other institutions in our community are very effective at political organizing and it confirms that the airways can be a very powerful voice when mobilized behind a political cause,” Isitt said, adding that it seemed half the population of Central Saanich (where the horses are stabled) was in the council chambers.

Isitt repeatedly said during the council meeting he still believes greater regulation of the industry is needed, but conceded his call for a ban by 2023 did not have enough council support to pass.

“It does appear that pressure from private interests and from the Chamber of Commerce has zapped the morale or the resolve of this council to move forward with very robust regulations, in terms of regulations that would phase out the industry,” Isitt said, adding that when he’s sure he can count on four other council members to ban the horse-drawn carriages from city streets, he will bring the matter back.

https://www.timescol...eets-1.23833474

isitt blames cfax.

"Fake news CFAX staged a DISHONEST protest and made WEAK councillors vote down my motion. I am the most stable genius and making Victoria great again by writing letters and passing the BEST resolutions."
  • Nparker, pennymurphy2000, jasmineshinga and 1 other like this

#450 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 02:58 PM

"Fake news CFAX staged a DISHONEST protest and made WEAK councillors vote down my motion. I am the most stable genius and making Victoria great again by writing letters and passing the BEST resolutions."

and whereas hillary lost 33,000 e-mails isitt has never misplaced a citizen's e-mail address you can tell because you are on his e-mail list if you ever contacted city hall.

• Nparker, pennymurphy2000 and rmpeers like this

#451 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 25 May 2019 - 04:48 PM

Just watched the first episode of Chernobyl, (its really good) the opening scene the narrator is talking and says this

What is the cost of lies?”
“If we hear enough lies, then we can no longer recognize the truth at all."

This statement really hits the ball out of the park when you apply it to Isitt and Reichert regarding the horse tours...they dont care about truth, they only care about fulfilling their agenda

• Nparker likes this

#452 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 09:53 PM

It was good to see some media firmly attach Ben's name to it. I didnt notice council colleagues rallying round him.

#453 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 25 May 2019 - 10:56 PM

It was good to see some media firmly attach Ben's name to it. I didnt notice council colleagues rallying round him.

If we're lucky, Isitt will make enough missteps such that he will become somewhat poisonous to be too closely associated with (politically).

The proof will be the pudding that see's Loveday break away and start voting against some (or all) of Isitt's more polarizing (read "crazy") ideas ... but that certainly hasn't happened to date.

But pulling away from Isitt politically can happen for any number of reasons ... as we clearly saw with Collins a couple of days ago.

#454 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 07:18 AM

They very much are not in the same spot. Even the Chamber has shifted.

#455 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 07:58 AM

You're never going to get every citizen on board with this topic. There are vegans that won't eat honey as it's the product of the exploitation of bee's labour. But attitudes change. When I was a kid nobody thought there was anything wrong with kidnapping an orca and keeping it in solitary confinement in a swimming pool in Oak Bay.

But I think there are ways to make the carriage industry safer. Better training for one. That debacle where the horses fell down and nobody seemed to know what to do, that didn't have to happen. Maybe make that hill on Dallas Road off-limits when it's wet. Horseshoes with more grip, I don't know? 

#456 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 08:12 AM

You're never going to get every citizen on board with this topic. There are vegans that won't eat honey as it's the product of the exploitation of bee's labour. But attitudes change. When I was a kid nobody thought there was anything wrong with kidnapping an orca and keeping it in solitary confinement in a swimming pool in Oak Bay.

#457 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 08:18 AM

I think when the horse fell part of the problem was it was on a slope, making it difficult to get up. The other horse remained down, as it was instructed to do so as not to cause further entanglement.

Can you tell me who is paying Reichert?

• rjag likes this

#458 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 08:29 AM

One attitude that has certainly changed is the idea that keeping large dog breeds, or any dog for that matter, in an apartment is a great idea.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.

#459 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 09:36 AM

One attitude that has certainly changed is the idea that keeping large dog breeds, or any dog for that matter, in an apartment is a great idea.

Could you imagine the uproar by the SJWs if there was a movement to try and ban dogs from apartments or condos?!

#460 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 26 May 2019 - 10:01 AM

I think when the horse fell part of the problem was it was on a slope, making it difficult to get up. The other horse remained down, as it was instructed to do so as not to cause further entanglement.

Can you tell me who is paying Reichert?

Yup, that video was debunked as not telling the whole story and was subsequently edited to create shock value....and who would ever accuse a SJW of manipulating something to their benefit???

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users